ASAP: 10 gal. Betta sorority?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tormented

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if 7 female bettas would be good?
I have read that more is better :fish2:

Also, would a couple endlers be okay as tank mates? That if I can find some :ermm:

This tank is already set up, It has some ghost shrimp and a couple (going to be one or two in a couple of days) mystery snails :fish1:

In a 10 gal, no way too small. To even attempt a sorority you'd need a larger tank, probably a 30 gal minimum. You could do a single betta though, or get a divider and put one on each side.

10 gallon is the minimum, I have done my research. Also 5 bettas is the minimum. There is 11 in a 10 gallon successfully with someone over on the betta forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got a good answer from librarygirl.

All bettas are different. Under the best of circumstances, 20 gallon sororities can still be difficult.

10 gallons is not enough real estate.

If one betta gets aggressive and you need to remove her from the tank you will need a place to put her. Females can get kinda big depending on what kind of Betta so I would rethink this whole thing.

10 gallon is the minimum, I have done my research. Also 5 bettas is the minimum. There is 11 in a 10 gallon successfully with someone over on the betta forums.

What were you reading that said 5 bettas is the MINIMUM for a 10g? That recommendation alone would raise a red flag for me.

What do they consider "successful" in regards to keeping 11 bettas in a 10g? That they are still alive? Being successful at something can mean a lot of things. I could successfully keep a 3 foot shark in a 3 foot tank. Would that mean the shark is healthy and happy? No.

----------
I mean 5 is minimum overall, what ever size tank you have.

They are alive and happy, apparently there were 11 but one was WAY too aggressive.

---------------

I am probably going to stick with 5 in a 10, I can't get any other tanks and I really want a sorority. I am not new, but I am not experienced by any means.

Why are we talking about a shark? I don't like the 1 in. per gallon rule, I think by how much waste they produce.

--------------

Well here is the tank that will be there home, when I eventually get them.

63926-albums11611-picture51649.jpg

Here's the thing. If one turns out to be a bully and you have no other tanks what are you going to do with the bully? What if one gets sick or injured. You should at least invest in a smaller even 5.5g tank to use as qt and hospital.

Were you planning on getting these fish at the petstore or from a breeder? A breeder can provide you with siblings that have perhaps grown out together and are used to being with other fish but its still a gamble.

Are you doing fishless cycle or fish-in? Fish-in would be hard with 5 fish in there IMO.

I don't think putting 5 extremely aggressive fish in a really small tank is a good idea but if you think that will somehow work then good luck. Why did you ask if you didn't want to take anyone's suggestions?

I really think it would be a better idea to skip the sorority if you cannot go with at least a 30. I just don't believe there will be enough spaces for them to hide or swim off if aggressive rises too much, IMO. Each betta is totally different, and it's always good to have a place to separate the females if something goes wrong. I hope you have a plan B for them if this happens at least.

If you are bound and determined to do this, I'll make the following suggestions to you.

One cave (the terra cotta pot on its side) is going to invite fights. I can't tell from the enlarged photo if you busted the bottom out of it or not, but there needs to be more than one way in and out. If you are going to use terra cotta pots, then ditch the larger one and get the tiny ones - several of them. Knock the bottoms out of them for escape hatches.

You need more cover in the top of the tank. Either some very tall plants, or some floating stems that can be used for hiding places.

You need at least five hiding places at the top and the bottom of the tank. And with the small pieces of projecting wood, you don't need any girls with longish fins.

I see a breeder box in the top right of the tank. Have you got three more back-up plans?

ETA: the discussion about the shark was to show that just because it can be done, doesn't mean it's a good idea or humane to the fish in question.

Last edited:
Why are we talking about a shark?

That was to get my point across. I'll try again.

I too dislike the inch per gallon rule. The "rule" has too many exceptions and generally isn't worth considering when stocking. What you do want to consider is the temperament of the stock. In your case, notoriously aggressive fish.

I think you are pretty set on 5 in a 10g so I wish you the best of luck. I would recommend getting a QT or some other type of temporary housing set up so you can remove the bullies before any harm is done. You will more than likely experience some aggression as they all find their place in the social hierarchy.

@ brenae - My tank is already cycled, and has had fish in it for over a year.

@okapizebra - You can't just assume I am not taking any ones suggestions. I also have a similar post on yahoo.answers (not the best place, but still) and also on bettafish.com. I am taking all the critiques and suggestions I am getting into account. But I am not backing down, just because what might happen.

@ Shaprchick - that is the smallest :/ But I will probably get a couple more and break the bottom out.... That sounds like fun...

@meegosh - Okay, I have back up breeding traps because I still have guppies,they are in my brothers tank with my male betta opal. They would be emergency separation.

---------------------
I know that it may not work, and as long as there are no casualties, that's just fine. I am actually not expecting it to work, but simply hoping it will
I have a back up plan if it fails.

Anyways I am getting A LOT more plants before I even put them in. Probably mostly fake, but some real

sharpchick, I forgot to read all of your post! XP

That breeding box has my guppy's that is currently residing in the tanks babies. But when I can get to the store I am going to get a couple more breeding boxes for back up plans.

When I get the bettas, I will be moving that breeding box to my brothers tank.

Broke the bottom out of the terra cotta pot! :D

It was kind of fun...

The poor snail had to get booted out of it though!

--------------------------------

Oh also if you guys might mention anything about what might happen when I am not here.... Well that is unlikely to happen, I am a home-schooled 17 yr old that like NEVER leaves the house. But that is fine by me :p

The previous suggestions were to either not attempt it or to get a bigger tank size... both of which you aren't planning on doing. So yes, I believe it is safe to assume that you are not taking advice on that regard.

I don't think it's what might happen... I think it's the other way around. It's what will happen, unless you are lucky. You can only prepare so much, but ultimately I think this is not an appropriate set up and I feel bad for the females that must go through this. Why not just set it up for one very pretty betta, and add a school of tetras, and some snails/shrimp?

In the future, it might be helpful to people who post in reply to you to tell us whether you really are asking a question, or just saying what you are going to do.

If you can buy more breeding boxes and more plants, you're well on the way to buying another tank, or getting more suitable fish for the existing one.

I was asking a question.

Would a couple endlers be okay as tank mates?

None of you guy even said anything about the above. Only the fact I was going to put 7 bettas in one tank, which is now going to be 5 bettas.

Buying a couple live and fake plants and a couple breeding boxes is like $20-30

Buying a 30 gallon is like $130. That's one that comes with the tank, a filter, light+hood, and a heater. Buying all of those separately would be upwards of $150. Its not like I didn't already look into getting a bigger tank, I had dreams, But they were squished like a bug :/

I am seriously not trying to blow up on anybody, but seriously. The only reason I even have money is because I cleaned the fridges for my dad.. Like I already said I am 17 and I am home-schooled. I also don't have a job because I am trying not to fail miserably at school.

In my experience, endlers would not make good tank mates. Usually with betta sororities you only have betas. Any other fish will run the risk of getting picked on to death.

I'd also say that 7 is too many in a ten gallon since they are so territorial. Even female betas can be mean little fish!

Also, a 30 gallon tank would only cost that much if you bought a kit from a chain store. If your parents will let you, look at local craigslist adds in your area. I've seen 30 gallon tanks for 40 bucks, including the filter and heater!

I am 17. I have 6 tanks right now, biggest being a 50gallon. No job either for me. I can certainly agree with you that funds aren't easy to come by, but it is possible. If you really do want a bigger tank, why not save up for a while? It'll be worth it in the end. If you're going to spend all that money on 5 bettas, wouldn't you want to give them a home that would allow for more success? You said yourself you were planning on it failing, so why are you trying to do something that is going to fail? The 30 will be less stressful on you and the bettas and allow for a much higher rate of success.

Obviously you can do whatever you want, but we are really trying to help you out here.

I also agree that endlers are probably not a good addition.

Back
Top Bottom