ASAP: 10 gal. Betta sorority?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wasn't planing on it failing, but knowing it might. I am not really expecting it to fail, but knowing it may.

Its not really the money, but my parents don't want anymore tanks in the house. Unless its their tank of course, kind of selfish :/ but its their house so what ever.

I still want to try with the sorority though.

----------------
Well because I want the betta sorority lol

I really want to try it, There are success stories but I know things can go wrong.

-------

THe lowest price on craiglist is $75 for a 40 gal, with noting but a top meant for reptiles :/

People in my area think stuff is worth more than it is...

Meaning there is a 20 gal for $300..

Well you should check daily. That's what I do. :) and I bet you could talk them down some. For used tanks the general rule is usually 50 cents to a dollar a gallon for tanks. What state are you in? Some states are more expensive than others...

Yes check Craigs daily. People get desperate for $ and sell things cheap sometimes. Maybe you can make an agreement with your parents that if you keep them in your room you can have however many tanks you can fit. That was the rule I had to go by. Heck I'm 35 and staying with them now and I have 3 walls of tanks! Not sure how I am going to move them all when I leave but that's another issue.

If you are really set on a betta tank, try two to get the BB up, then get another one once everything is stable. 4 would really be the most I would recommend. You might be able to get away with 5 as long as none of them are aggressive, but 7 is too many. Sorry to say that. :-/

@ brennae - My tank was actually originally in my room, but I didn't want it in there anymore because of my dog maybe bumping the table it was on wrong and it falling to the ground O.O Oh and my cat sleeping on it! :/

@ GNarnian - BB?
I was planning on 5 because I agree 7 is a squeeze. Also that All the other threads on different websites say that 3 is the minimum, but 5 is better. With only 3, 2 might gang up on the weakest, but with 5+ aggression is more spread out. They are also better in odd numbers, not exactly sure why, but la lot of people are say that. :/

I have cats that lay on top of my tanks too, some heavier than others. WHat kind of filter are you running? The bioload will be a lot different from guppys to bettas.

Sorry, Beneficial Bacteria (BB). It's the bacteria that breaks down ammonia into nitrites, then into nitrates, so your fish don't get sick. BB live in the filter pads and help to clean up the water.

There's no real way to get the nitrates out of the tank, except with water changes, so that's what is done to keep the water, and thus the fish, healthy!

Are you ordering the bettas online or buying at the pet store? Siblings have a better chance of surviving in a sorority and also you need to get all 5 at one time.

5-15 gallon filter

Ah okay :p
I believe BB also live in the filter and one surfaces in the tank (plants, gravel, etc.)
Oh my tank is cycled. My test kit is all wonky, I don't trust it. It said my ammonia was 4 one time, and I have read that high of ammonia is lethal. My nitrate is like 40, that is part of the reason I want to get more plants!

--------------------

Okay I made a decision. If I find a orange or part orange male, then I won't do a sorority! One time I saw this gorgeous navy blue and orange male, But I didn't have any money with me! Ugh.

Okay so I have kept bettas for like 15 years, and have 22 plus a batch of fry right now. 10 gallons is perfectly fine for a sorority, minimum is actually 4 not 5.

This being said, to have a successful sorority you MUST have tons of cover, whether it be live or fake plants, driftwood or caves, you have to have a ton of things in the tank to break up the line of sight.

As for Endlers, I wouldn't recommend them with bettas in something that small. I have tiger Endlers in my 26 gallon sorority tank and they do fine, but that's in a 26. I would never try them with a male because they are so brightly colored the male could easily confuse them for another small betta.

Back
Top Bottom