Assistance Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GJ-Anderson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is what I have:

• Top Fin Goldfish Aquarium Starter Kit 10
    • 10 gallon black-trim Glass Aquarium
    • Incandescent hood with bulbs
    • Top Fin Power Filter with Cartridge
  • Aquarium gravel (black
My exwife has a heater that she will give me if I need it or want it, but do not know what type it is but supposed to be for a 10 gallon tank.

Here is what I need
  • what fish to put in.
    • I was looking at the goldfish with the black tail fin (don't know what they are called)
    • I also saw a red colored fish at the store (again, do not remember what they are called).
    • do not know what the Ph of my water is, but I do know it is heavy water (limestone). I live in Texas
    • Need compatible and as colorfull as possible
    • Good with many beginner mistakes.
  • decoration ideas.
    • I am on a very tight budget.
    • I was looking at using artificial plants.
    • I have seen several very heavily decorated aquariums and am more worried about cleaning.
    • I like to keep things simple and not too busy looking.
I am looking at suggestions and ideas. I also am needing to know of any other equipment that I will be needing, (type of product, brand, model, etc..) that people have good experience with.

I was looking at different plants (artificial), and like to have green in the far back, then red(ish) and maybe others in the middle. I would like something that fish can swim through but don't want 'corny' (spelling?). Many of the decoration items looked too big for a 10 gallon aquarium or were too plastic looking.

Of course, the decorations would depend on the fish I decide to get as well.

Thanks for all the ideas (in advance).

The first thing you need to do is set the tank up and not be in a rush to buy fish. A 10 gallon tank is too small to maintain goldfish. I would read as much as you can about the nitrogen cycle and how it pertains to a new aquarium. And until you fully understand this material I would hold off on buying any fish.

If you are going to decorated the tank then just be sure to buy things that are made for aquarium use. Your taste and imagination will be the best guides.

But please, learn about the nitrogen cycle before you get started, no fish deserves the title of good fish for beginner mistakes.

Bill

Be sure to read up on cycling your tank.
That's the most important step in keeping healthy fish.
An API liquid test kit will be an important tool to cycle your tank properly.

I saw these "goldfish" setups at Petsmart the other day.
A ten gallon tank won't be big enough for a goldfish for very long.
They are messy fish and create lots of waste.

You can do it, but stay on top of your water conditions.
I have a 10" goldfish that my son won at the carnival 8 or 9 years ago.

It started out living in a ten gallon tank.
It's in 70 gallon tank now.
And soon will be in a 165 gallon indoor pond.

Goldfish can live a long time! Some over 20 years.
And they just keep growing.

Be sure to find some threads here on cycling your tank.
And goldfish are cold water fish.
They don't need a heater, and it's probably best not to use one.

Tropical fish, on the other hand, do require heat in most cases.
Although my house temperature stays in the 70's, so I have a few tropical fish in the tank with my goldfish. And no heater.

Cycle, Cycle, Cycle!

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks for the advice about the goldfish...Every goldfish I looked at said 20 gallon or larger so wasn't sure.

I have read many different posts in this forum about the test kits...this would be the first time I did the tests myself (and the first time I tested the Ph of my water at this apartment). I have tested the Ph levels at a friend's house for his fish (he had other tests done by a pro) and I have also tested Ph at other apartments/houses that I have lived at while the Nitrite levels were always checked by someone else.

I also do appologize for the confusion. I am not rushing into getting the fish, only planning on fish to get (so not to have too many decorations and such). I am on a very tight budget and it may be a couple of months before I am ready to add water to the aquarium and even start thinking of getting fish.

Basically, I have the aquarium and now am in the planning stages of what next.

Now, since I know that goldfish would be too big for my small 10 gallon aquarium, as so long as the heater is ok, what items should I get to be good for tropical fish. And what fish can I add that will do fine in a 10 gallon? (again, I am only in the planning stage).

I would like ideas on decoration because imagination in decoration and such I am not that good in (only music and poetry...not carving, shaping, decorating, etc.. heck, I even had to get tips on decorating my apartment - and it is still very bare and basic).

So now I can say that I need to buy:

1 good testor kit to test Ph, Nitrite, Nitrate, and other levles

anything else?

cycle!

im new here too but i agree with asudavew's advice. read about the cycling process it helped me alot

Of course when you set up the tank make sure it cycles. In my personal opinion there are lots of cool REAL plants that are cheaper to buy then the fake ones. In a small tank like that they may really impress you on the decoration they provide. The tropical fish love them, and maybe a couple of rocks / driftwood that you could find. If you find it make sure you prep it before putting it in. You'll later want to provide a cleaner fish to help clean up the bottom of the tank and algae, depending on your lighting. As far as fish go in a 10 gallon I would stick to the typical tropical / brackish type making sure you don't place anything aggressive or anything that can grow too big. They have some very good looking German Rams that don't grow too big and are very colorful.

I dunno, I don't think you actually need a bottom feeder (cleaner) unless that's something that appeals to you in its own right. Your tank maintenance schedule (water changes and gravel vacs) will take care of detritus. Real plants are nice, and there are some options like anubias, java fern, java moss, and possibly cryptocorynes, that will work with a normal output light strip, which you probably have. If you don't think you want to get into real plants just yet, the artificial ones work just as well from your fishes' point of view. Driftwood can look nice, or any other decor you like (as long as it is aquarium safe)- it is just a matter of personal preference. :)

As far as stocking your 10 gallon, I agree that you should stay away from goldfish. However, there are plenty of other options that are really interesting to keep. You could try a betta with a group of pygmy corydoras, or a couple of snails, or (depending on betta's temperament) a group of shrimp like ghost shrimp or amano shrimp. Or, a trio of sparkling gouramis instead of the betta would be great too, if you can find them. If you don't like that idea, a group of 6 smaller tetras would work, like neons, cardinals, embers, or other tetras of similar size. Or, a group of 5-6 male guppies would work- they are very flashy and without females, can't overrun your tank with babies. Here's a different idea- I recently set up an 8 gallon tank with 2 peacock gudgeons and 5 pygmy hatchetfish. Both of those species can be difficult to find, but if you hunt around while your tank is cycling you may be able to find where to buy them. You won't be able to find them at a chain store, but you might get lucky with a locally owned shop and if not, maybe they can special order fish that you like. The fish I mentioned are all tropical and would benefit from having a heater in the tank.

Finally, I don't think that anyone here was trying to jump on you for rushing into anything. Rather, I think that people are trying to make sure that you don't get taken by the same poor advice that many (including myself) started with. I cycled with fish before I even knew what cycling was, and my fish all got sick and most died. We see that on forums quite commonly, and if you go about it the fishless way, it is much easier and a much less frustrating way to get involved in the hobby.

If you have any other questions about stocking, feel free to ask or PM anytime. Good luck! :)

come on sm come up with better fish than that.... though the gudgeons isnt bad idea at all....

ember tetra
george10_ember.jpg

margaritatus danio aka galaxy rasbora
aaronKoo_m_galaxy.jpg

Boraras merah
calo_boraras_merah.jpg

Pseudomugil gertrudae
P_gertrudae_Weipa.jpg

i could go on but you get the hint there is lots of cool fish that will fit in a 10 gallon. since its going to take you time to set this tank up plenty of time to hunt them down.

LOL... I mentioned embers already. I was trying (for the most part) to stick to suggestions that most people can find. ;)

Severum mama, please tell me you are referring to a particular type of guppie. My mom had a guppie that got really big, she finally got a bigger tank for the one - he could barely move in a 10 gallon aquarium. She should have cycled the water or something because he only lived around 2 weeks in the bigger tank, though someone told us he died of shock (water temp).

As far as the tank - it has two incandescent bulbs which from a person that used to have this type of tank said, the bulbs heated the water a good amount (around 5 degrees over room temp). If I used live plants, I would have to change my substrate though, wouldn't I? Can I use a small pot or something placed inside the gravel instead?

Looking up the fish in Yahoo search for all the other fish listed by Severum mama to see what they look like and find out more info (links would be nice to sites that others with experience find very good).

I referred to a red fish I saw in the store, now I know what it is..the Ember Tetra" thanks a lot for the pictures..they do assist a good deal, mgamer. Do you have any links to more info on these fish or can I just ask, are they school type or ok alone and how big do they get?

I also like the Pseudomugil gertrudae for color variation. I assume that these fish generally get along with each other in a community aquarium. If so, would be nice to have the galaxy rasbora as well. After the initial cycle, I understand not to put them all in at once, so not planning on that. Would be nice to have links to other fish...going through the gallery looking is not very easy because it depends on what pics are in there..and then going through all the pages takes a while on my computer (more time than I have...would be easier).

Bettas (spelling on plural???) I am not interested in. Aquariums, Ocean, River, and Lake items are known to help reduce my stress levels, oddly though Betta fish were looked into and did not have the same effect.

As far as decorations go, I have been informed by many to plan first which type of fish because some like a lot of decoration while some like hardly any. I do want to make sure that the routine maintenance is not too difficult (by a lot of decoration items to go around). I'm more interested in what the fish would like than with what catches my fancy in the decoration department. I am thinking that a couple of live plants with a few artificial ones, and rocks that the fish can swim through and such...don't really want a 'sunken boat' or 'treasure chest' type stuff.

I am looking at the fish to be the main attraction, so want the decorations to be more natural and good for the fish.

One final question needing answered: 'Decoration' items, what size should I keep it all within...some that I have seen just seem to be too big, maybe I'm not seeing the big picture or something...any assistance in this area?

For future reference: There are two really good LFS near by me. One deals with a good number of tropical - brackish water fish along with salt water fish while the other deals more in exotic fish of all sorts.

The first LFS mentioned is a family owned and operated LFS. They have been here for a good number of years and they also have education (college degrees) plus years of experience. They are also not after making money as much as they are sharing their passion for fish. They will not sell fish to anyone until the person has indicated that they have done the initial cycle and normally do not sell fish that do not go well together. If I purchase fish from them, they will even test the water free if there is a problem. (Neighbor uses them a good amount, they even have come to his home and assisted in the tank free of charge). I have checked about the Pseudomugil gertrudae and galaxy rasbora with this store and they have both. They did inform me that they do not have that much experience with these particular fish so do not know if they go well together. They do believe that these fish are school fish and do not do well individually. If this is incorrect, please let me know and that way they can find out.

FYI about this store as well, none of them are very computer litterate...and do not trust the Internet at all (at least at this time). I got to ask them, because they are at the neighbors home right now...neighbors brand new filter system went out...they are hoping to find the cause (if not the system itself) and correct it if possible.

As far as the tank - it has two incandescent bulbs which from a person that used to have this type of tank said, the bulbs heated the water a good amount (around 5 degrees over room temp). If I used live plants, I would have to change my substrate though, wouldn't I? Can I use a small pot or something placed inside the gravel instead?
no you wouldnt have to change the gravel but you would the bulbs. incandescent bulbs dont help plants much at all. i would switch them to cfl bulbs like found at walmart home depot and so on.

I referred to a red fish I saw in the store, now I know what it is..the Ember Tetra" thanks a lot for the pictures..they do assist a good deal, mgamer. Do you have any links to more info on these fish or can I just ask, are they school type or ok alone and how big do they get?
there are lots of red fish so you might want to go back ask or look to make sure. they are a schooling fish. they get to be about 1 inch. i have 40-50 of them in my 120 nothing but small schooling fish. nothing over 2 inch.

I also like the Pseudomugil gertrudae for color variation. I assume that these fish generally get along with each other in a community aquarium.
yea i have them in mine. they are really neat like some of the other rainbows out there swimming around fairing at other males.

As far as decorations go
really you dont need anything. heck you dont even have to have gravel so do what you like. personally i hate anything fake. if its not real plants wood rock its not going in my tank. just remember the more stuff you put in the tank the less room for fish. put a big rock in there less room for the fish to swim. most people who do live plants look for a couple things. a rock or driftwood in the middle or side with some small plants in front with taller ones in back. gives it deepth. also plants help to keep the water clean.

Pseudomugil gertrudae and galaxy rasbora with this store and they have both. They did inform me that they do not have that much experience with these particular fish so do not know if they go well together.
they are fine. the rainbow i would do in school or a pair they would be fine. the galaxy are a schooling fish. again these were just examples you might want to go to the store and look at the rest of the fish they have. see if anything catches your eye. write it down come back and reaseach it.

I have kept a 10 gal planted tank before and it was quite fun. :)

I used natural gravel (from a river bed but regular aquarium gravel is fine) and a crypt with some stem plants in the back and a small piece of driftwood.
Since a 10 is not very deep you may want to stick to a single crypt as most stems will grow quite fast and need to be trimmed at least weekly, though it's not hard you just pinch them off at the top for the most part, just depends on how much maintenance you want to do. I had a dwarf puffer in my tank which ate the snails that came in on the plants...free food, happy fish....win win. :)

I wish you much luck and success with your tank. I happen to think they are great at any size. :)

ok, sorry took so long to get back. I needed to wait for a friend who was with me at the store to know if it was the amber tetra, and it was. I went to Petsmart for that one, though I had to look up the fish because they were mislabeled. We also went to the other LFS that I was referring to find out how much and check the condition, they had a lot of amber tetra's and many other fish. While I'm in the planning stages I figure I won't state the one's I want until I'm more ready. I will have a list with the number of each I want and will even create a backup in case they are not good. I will check in here and at the LFS and any other site or book then begin the water cycle.

After careful consideration and examination, I have decided that I will not get live plants at all. There are several reasons and I have discussed with many offline at the LFS and friends about getting live plants. I do like live plants and have a potted garden outside of my apartment and also a few in home potted plants. I was thinking of getting a couple for the back and artificial for up front but have decided to just go the artificial route to start with. When I have more experience with keeping fish and when I get more money to start another aquarium (and hopefully have more room to keep another aquarium) I will look into getting live plants then.

Thanks for all the advice so far and I will keep updating as I get this aquarium setup.

GJ

sad to hear that about the plants. though ill still make my point. if the hood you have or will get has screw in bulbs aka incandescent bulbs you could easy switch them out for the cfl (energy saving spiral bulbs) go with plants like moss anubias and java ferns. it will be zero work help keep the tank clean since they use waste as nutrients.

if you do go with artificial plants get silk plants they tend to look more real then plastic. keep away from the fake rock and wood lol that stuff just looks really bad lol

Back
Top Bottom