Assorted African cichlids care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtlenecks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought one from Walmart over a year ago. It's all one color. I had it in a fish bowl for awhile then I upgraded it to a 1 gallon with a air bubble filter. Seemed a lot happier in that. Just upgraded it again to a 3.5 gallon with a real filter and got another assorted African cichlid. The old one is about 3 inches long. The new one is so little. Anyways they seem to be getting along although the older one won't eat but the new one does. It's only been a few days though. For water care I've used a water conditioner that kills chlorine and one that regulates pH, alkaline, some other stuff and vitamins. Water test strips are kind of expensive though so I don't know any of the actual levels in the tank. I have a Java fern that has had its ups and downs for a year. Recently had to throw a little bit away because it had grown so many new plants there wasn't enough room to swim. I know the recommended tank size is about 29 gallons and 3.5 is way off but I figure if they can live in the pet store tanks with only about 5 gallons and tons of fish buddies as long as I keep the water clean they should be alright. Anyways I don't want my old fish to die from not eating. The water was recently changed before the new fish came in. Is there anything I can do? I just feed them fish flakes for freshwater fish or tropical fish flakes. I can use either one you recommend. Anyways I want to get another one. The old fish is much happier in the new tank and swims around almost non stop. Any advice other than I need a bigger tank would be appreciated.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

I don't really know where to start with helping you but I highly suggest reading the threads in the link and get back to us. You're going to need a larger tank no matter what. It doesn't always matter about size...bioload, activity, territorial behavior are all just as if not more important factors....

How often and how large are the water changes you do?

Is the tank cycled?

What's your filter?

Have you seen the general setups people have for African cichlids?

I have had a 55 gallon tank but I didn't like all the work so I gave them up. I was given the African cichlid as a gift over a year ago in a fish bowl. Didn't want it to die from no oxygen so I got a Java fern to help a little. Later upgraded the tank to the 1 gallon bubble filter tank. Then I upgraded to this Top Fin® Aquascene 180 3.5 Gallon Aquarium
Decided to get it a fish buddy. I know these fish need a bigger tank but I'm not willing to get them one. The new one is the best they are gonna get. And honestly they are very healthy. The older one just isn't eating for the past few days and I seriously do not want him to die.

I have had a 55 gallon tank but I didn't like all the work so I gave them up. I was given the African cichlid as a gift over a year ago in a fish bowl. Didn't want it to die from no oxygen so I got a Java fern to help a little. Later upgraded the tank to the 1 gallon bubble filter tank. Then I upgraded to this Top Fin® Aquascene 180 3.5 Gallon Aquarium
Decided to get it a fish buddy. I know these fish need a bigger tank but I'm not willing to get them one. The new one is the best they are gonna get. And honestly they are very healthy. The older one just isn't eating for the past few days and I seriously do not want him to die.

This is absolutely not fair to the fish. How would you like to sit in a freaking box for your whole life?! Get a much larger tank or find the fish a better home. They're probably jammed in little tanks at the pet store because in a few days they will be out of there and in a proper home. They're not meant to stay there. And just wait until your 2 fish are big 6 inch long monsters in that little tank.

Where to even begin. This is one of the worst ideas of fish keeping I've EVER seen. There is absolutely no way these fish or even one can be kept here. Take them to a pet store and give them up for adoption. They would be much better off. And no u don't need a 29, u need a 55. 40 breeder minimum. This is a mess. What kind of Africans even are they? Male female? You are in too deep and your fish are the ones paying the price. Geez.

Where to even begin. This is one of the worst ideas of fish keeping I've EVER seen. There is absolutely no way these fish or even one can be kept here. Take them to a pet store and give them up for adoption. They would be much better off. And no u don't need a 29, u need a 55. 40 breeder minimum. This is a mess. What kind of Africans even are they? Male female? You are in too deep and your fish are the ones paying the price. Geez.
That's hilarious. My stock is at %125 which will go up a little bit more. As long as I keep up my water changes I'll be fine. My question was how can I get him to eat.

The only hilarious thing is that you think what you are doing is OK. Your stock is like 12000%. One healthy African gets to big to turn around in 3 gallons. You are clueless. Do some research or keep torturing your fish as you stunt their growth. Choice is yours. I would hate to see how bad that water quality is.

People are getting upset because of your disregard for what is appropriate for keeping African cichlids. Politely I will say, your setup is no world for a single cichlid to live, let alone two. There is nothing wrong with keeping a 3.5gallon tank in general, but you need to keep appropriate species in that tank.

Respectfully, keeping 2 cichlids in a 3.5 gallon is not ethical fishkeeping. We are here to help you covert your 3.5g into a happy, healthy environment for appropriate fish/invertebrates. But we cannot and will not help you keep your cichlids there. But we would love to talk to you about the other fun and interesting things you can do with your tank with micro-species of fish, bettas, shrimp or other.

People are getting upset because of your disregard for what is appropriate for keeping African cichlids. Politely I will say, your setup is no world for a single cichlid to live, let alone two. There is nothing wrong with keeping a 3.5gallon tank in general, but you need to keep appropriate species in that tank.

Respectfully, keeping 2 cichlids in a 3.5 gallon is not ethical fishkeeping. We are here to help you covert your 3.5g into a happy, healthy environment for appropriate fish/invertebrates. But we cannot and will not help you keep your cichlids there. But we would love to talk to you about the other fun and interesting things you can do with your tank with micro-species of fish, bettas, shrimp or other.
+1 to threnjen. There is now way on earth that could have been stated better.

The fish not eating is indicative of a major problem and i would bet money the problem is the inadequate tank size.

Please take a look at this:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/stunted-growth-means-stunted-lives/

Yeah, I could've shown more diplomacy, the "that's hilarious" snip kinda sent me over the edge.

I think you were dead on. When someone is that ignorant it's most likely a lost cause.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks mike. Its at times hard using this medium to convey how grave the seriousness of a situation is without seeming rude. Its an art. One I have not yet mastered.

That's hilarious. My stock is at %125 which will go up a little bit more. As long as I keep up my water changes I'll be fine. My question was how can I get him to eat.

If having the 2 fish in there makes your tank 125% stocked, adding a 3rd would make your tank like 190% stocked.

Also, you are being very rude. We are trying to help you understand that what you are doing to the fish is wrong, and you are just shunning away our advice and trying to find ways that makes you happy; not the fish. Why even ask on this site if you're not going to take the advice given to you?

There is no way that this tank is 125% stocked. Where did you get that figure? I know not aqua advisor as it would have immediately threw red flags that even one cichlid couldn't be placed in a three gallon tank. Its like putting a 6 foot inmate in a 3 foot cell.

The actual stocking % of this tanks bio load would easily pass 200%! Probably above 400% with the two.

If u can acquire a 40 gallon this tank could be sustainable. Even a 29 would help drastically.

There is no way that this tank is 125% stocked. Where did you get that figure? I know not aqua advisor as it would have immediately threw red flags that even one cichlid couldn't be placed in a three gallon tank. Its like putting a 6 foot inmate in a 3 foot cell.

The actual stocking % of this tanks bio load would easily pass 200%! Probably above 400% with the two.

If u can acquire a 40 gallon this tank could be sustainable. Even a 29 would help drastically.
Inch per gallon

Alright guys, I'd say we have come across a case here that needs urgent fixing. Let me just start off by saying that 3.5 gallons is too small for anything that reaches 1.5" by adult size. So that rules out African Cichlids in the first place. Turtleneck, if you still read this, than I want you to please, PLEASE get a larger tank. It will pay off and it won't even be that much work. You'll be pleased in the end. This is what I'm scared of seeing, goldfish and betas in bowls that aren't filtered. This is the first time I've heard or seen a case like this. Eventually they will become aggressive towards each other, and they'll check out way early in that tank size. My point is get a bigger tank, or give them away. They're not "just fish", but living animals that you've decided to take into your care. Your responsibility. These fish aren't suited for a 3.5, just like you wouldn't keep a dog in a cage it's whole life. Not trying to be mean, but the way you word what you type doesn't really help either. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom