Astrea Snails Fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 astrea turbo snails. At first, the smaller one began to pin down the larger one by sitting above it on the glass and moved down into the sand. Then the smaller of the 2 climbed its way on top of the larger one. The larger one jerked around trying to get it off of him.

The smaller one began to move to the larger ones face, and that's when I broke it up. They finally went in different paths, but I was still dumb founded.

What exactly did I see?

I have 2 astrea turbo snails. At first, the smaller one began to pin down the larger one by sitting above it on the glass and moved down into the sand. Then the smaller of the 2 climbed its way on top of the larger one. The larger one jerked around trying to get it off of him.

The smaller one began to move to the larger ones face, and that's when I broke it up. They finally went in different paths, but I was still dumb founded.

What exactly did I see?

Haha, mating perhaps?

By any chance could they be so interested in each others shells because there is a lack of algae everywhere else?

By any chance could they be so interested in each others shells because there is a lack of algae everywhere else?

Def. have the needed algae. I'm still going through some of the algae blooms associated with new tanks, and only cleaning the front/sides and sand. I do not mess with the rocks, shells, output/input, heater, circ. pump.

I currently feed Mysis, Brine, Marine Snow, and put a bottle of "LIVE" Copapods (atleast 1000+) in there.

The small snail was intentionally pinning the larger one down, so it makes me wonder if it was hostile. The large one was very irritated with the smaller one as it was getting climbed on. :eek:

Link to live copapods:

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Live-...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CKvysOL1lb4CFU9p7Aodyj8AOw

I am not an expert on gastropod behavior, but I wasn't kidding when I said they might possibly be performing a courtship ritual, as the male is often the smaller individual in many species.

Also, the amount of algae wouldn't effect the possibility at the one snail was interested in the shell of a larger one. The fact that the aggressor was the smaller specimen lends itself to the theory that there was a motive for the smaller individual, seeking a larger shell.

Back
Top Bottom