At a loss ---- danios dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If dusting , it goes straight to the rag . I, nor my wife , spray any smell goods , furniture polish , glass cleaners (mirrors and windows not the aquarium glass) etc; etc; into the air or any where close to my aquarium . I make sure there is nothing on hands and arms like cologne when they are in the tank .

I am happy (or not so happy) to report that I have figured out why these fish died within a few months of purchase . My buddy is back in my lfs after working in their new store they had opened and informed me that the fish that was sold to me were given back to the store after they were used to cycle a tank , they came out of a store tank just for the purpose of returns and are sold as feeders (new employee , what are you going to do). He has given me a few swordtails to replace those danios that I have lost . Mystery solved .

Well I am glad you figured it out, and you got some sweet swordtails to make up for your loss. Danios seem to be commonly used to cycle tanks. Poor things

what *******s, i dunno about you guys, but maybe its just me, but fish that have been through cycling should never be returned to the store >___< thats a waste of money and time wondering what happened, i am glad you found out why they died ^_^ but that is one of the cons from buying from a LFS

I'm so cautious about stuff going in our tanks that before I put my hands in I wash them with antibacterial soap all the way up past my elbow, scrub my nails, then rinse for about 10 minutes.

My reasoning is I'm a woman and I live in Colorado, it gets dry here winter or summer and I use lots of lotion. Lotion and fish tanks, not a good mix. :)

coralife-aqua-gloves.jpg

Several years ago we bought a pair of CoraLife's AquaGloves, they're very well made, still using them.
Protects our fish... And protects us.

Plenty of pathogens that can cross to us, Fish Diseases Transmitted to Humans

That Fish TB ain't no joke, it is very nasty.

Zebra Danios are ideal for beginners, as they are prolific breeders. A unique quality of the Zebra Danio is that as they are quite loyal to their chosen mate. Mated pairs remain together for life, and rarely spawn with others, even if one mate dies.

i took that from an online profile.

could it be that they die within days of one another due to depression? who knows.. ihave a school of 17 right now, but a few months ago i lost 10 within days of each other. it's so horrible!! what do you do?

whenever i buy them now i get the smallest ones i can find, with the hope that they haven't paired or bonded yet.

I'm so cautious about stuff going in our tanks that before I put my hands in I wash them with antibacterial soap all the way up past my elbow, scrub my nails, then rinse for about 10 minutes.

My reasoning is I'm a woman and I live in Colorado, it gets dry here winter or summer and I use lots of lotion. Lotion and fish tanks, not a good mix. :)

Do you mean just mild antibacterial soap? I thought that we weren't supposed to even wash our hands due to the soap getting in the water type thing? It would be cool if we could though because I always want to wash my hands before I mess with it, but I don't want to hurt the tank with soap detergents or anything.

This may seem overkill but I keep regular , unscented bleach on hand at all times . I mix up a weak solution of bleach and water in the kitchen sink . I use this to soak my hands and arms (up to the elbow) and rinse them for a while to make sure no residue is left behind before I put them in the tank . Antibacterial soap worries me because I may not get it all off me and the thought of anti- bacterial soap and benificial bacteria coming together doesn't jive right in my head . I know it sounds silly , but it is one of those things that I can't get past or let go of so I just shy away from it all together . My wife makes fun of me because I fuss over my tank and have so many rules , that she says I am like a mother hen .

or you all could just buy the gloves that are posted up there? makes things easier, just slide them on and go in....no pun intended.... but yea, those gloves make everything much easier as long as there is no hole!!

When ordering aquarium supplies on line , I always have those on my mind to order but never get around to it . Seems like I am always in dire need of another product instead .

Do you mean just mild antibacterial soap? I thought that we weren't supposed to even wash our hands due to the soap getting in the water type thing? It would be cool if we could though because I always want to wash my hands before I mess with it, but I don't want to hurt the tank with soap detergents or anything.

I use Dial brand. Nothing fancy like in a doctor's office. Just what I get at the store. As for getting it in the tank, I seriously do rinse for at least 10 minutes. :)

or you all could just buy the gloves that are posted up there? makes things easier, just slide them on and go in....no pun intended.... but yea, those gloves make everything much easier as long as there is no hole!!

Does anyone know if those plain yellow rubber gloves would work just as well?

I use Dial brand. Nothing fancy like in a doctor's office. Just what I get at the store. As for getting it in the tank, I seriously do rinse for at least 10 minutes. :)

Lol I am not that brave! Glad it works for you though :) I remember when I lived with my ex he didn't know what he was doing, but neither did I so I listened to him when he told to wash my hands and to rinse the filter out in the sink! Lol. No wonder all our fish died but the kois and the pleco
:( RIP lil dudes!

Back
Top Bottom