Attached to bottom of my Snails Shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't have a digital camera, so hopefully my cell phone gives a good enough pic for identification. There is a round shell attached to the bottom of my Snail's shell. It has "tentacles" that come out, which could be a head or something that feeds on the glass as well. When I go near the glass it retracts back in.

Pretty wierd! Any ideas?

Attachments

• snail2.jpg
    snail2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 67
My guess, a feather duster? But I can't really tell from the pic. Can you pull the snail out and take a pic?

I will try to borrow a digital camera tomorrow night and take some better photos... worst case I will get it Friday.

The little black thing you see really looks like a snakes tongue.. it will come out and touch the glass, then retract back in when I get close. Like it is trying to feed or something. There are also two black antennae, one on each side. Very very thin.

Ok, I retract my statement of a feather duster. Maybe a baby cerith snail...is it mobile?

Just noticed him a few hours ago today. Just checked again and is still rooted to the same spot on the large snail. I will report back tomorrow, thanks so much for your help, I knew it would be rough just from that pic but it's all I had today. :) Night!

Y'know... I had something that looked like that on several astrea snails I got a few months back. It didn't look like anything I'd seen before. They were stuck on their shells pretty good - they eventually popped off when I pried them with my fingernail. Kind of a cross between a snail and a limpet.

I'm not sure what mine were, but they were all removed and are living (probably not) in my garden now.

Back
Top Bottom