auratus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowman17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my male has a little Ike Turner in him doing this to his female, don't understand because they been together for a while and had multiply batches of fry. But I think she's going to survive still eating at least. The male has been put in solitary in a bucket till further notice.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131003_125035.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131003_125035.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 119
  • ForumRunner_20131003_125147.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131003_125147.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20131003_125202.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131003_125202.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 109
Yep, maybe shes refusing him and hes taking it badly. Or hes just had enough of her. She the only female in the tank?

Yea that could be the reason, had her since I started and added the male later.

The females fins dont look good and cant see them healing very quickly and unfortunatly that bucket isnt going to be suitable for the male for very long. Change 100% of the water in the bucket at least twice daily using the tank water if clean, keep it airrated with an airstone and you might be able to get away with afew days.

Surprisingly she's being left alone in the main tank, and is still eating so hopefully she'll recover in time and as for the male that bucket is going to be home till I figure out if I want to keep him, he is an (moderator edit) not the tank boss but gives everyone else a hard time it's annoying to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who in the Chicago area wants a male auratus lol

I know what you mean about being annoying to watch, constantly makes you just want to net the little idiot right? Thats seems to be what i end up doing with alot of fish that are just nasty. Maybe try him again in afew days, keep a Close eye on him and if he starts again then rehome him. The bucket might rock him alittle but he'll probably start being a jerk after afew days.

Yea I'm kinda at that point already gave the little jerk a few chances lol. If I had a spare tank then I would keep him in that.

UPDATE So after removing my auratus for a few days for being over aggressive then returning him to the main tank worked in calming him down and chases a lot less now, and actually keeps to him self, Thats what solitary will do to you lol.

2 days in a bucket then a few days in a breeder box inside the main tank, then released him into the main.

This is how I fix mine :D 5-10 minutes with Lewis and they usually decide being a bully isn't fun when your not the big guy anymore :). Lewis is my growing Flowerhorn he's about 5" long right now.

Attachments

• image-941935951.jpg
    image-941935951.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2945821780.jpg
    image-2945821780.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 89
This is how I fix mine :D 5-10 minutes with Lewis and they usually decide being a bully isn't fun when your not the big guy anymore :). Lewis is my growing Flowerhorn he's about 5" long right now.

That doesn't seem very ethical

Yea, that's like me punching a kid in the face every time he messes up.

Oh lord here we go with the people to animal references. It's totally different, he never bites them he chases them trying to bite them. No fin has ever been tore. So if yelling at a kid and punching a kid in the face compares to letting a bully get bullied by a bully is somehow remotely comparable then have at it.

Oh lord here we go with the people to animal references. It's totally different, he never bites them he chases them trying to bite them. No fin has ever been tore. So if yelling at a kid and punching a kid in the face compares to letting a bully get bullied by a bully is somehow remotely comparable then have at it. Forum egos kill me.

Ttc is right. Adding your peacock into another tank because hes dominating isn't going to teach him a lesson or have an impact on his behavior, actually.. it probably will, if anything once added back hes more likely to become more aggressive towards his subdominant tank mates. If hes really a problem then i would rehome him.

Last edited:
Ttc is right. Adding your peacock into another tank because hes dominating isn't going to teach him a lesson or have an impact on his behavior, actually.. it probably will, if anything once added back hes more likely to become more aggressive towards his subdominant tank mates. If hes really a problem then i would rehome him.

Incorrect, I have done this several times now and it has worked every time. Dominate fish is one thing, bullying is another. For this particular specimen he tried to eat a synodontis and take his spot, the syno won so the peacock turned his aggression against all the other sub dominant males. 5 minutes with the flowerhorn and he was willing to share the cave with the syno instead of run him out, and he also avoided confrontation with most of the other sub males, minus the Ahli. I would say before he was probably #3 on the pecking order, hes about #5 now. For arguments sake next time I will do before and afters to prove a point, I forgot you have to present hard facts now days.

Back
Top Bottom