Aust. Blue Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's a crayfish I know :silly:

I know it would like a cave of some sort to hide in... my tank is just about done cycling and I want to get him :D

How big do I need to make the cave, I have a 20 Gallon

No idea's huh? Rats... i wanted to get the stuff to build it tonight... so the epoxy is set by tomorrow.

Ah well.. just going to have to get a prefab I guess

Get a plain clay flower pot. They're dirt cheap.
hm... I like that idea... just lay it on its side? how big around... 3-4" in diameter?

Side note... Can I get one of those little aquatic frogs with the lobster or will it just get eaten???
Common sense makes me think it will get caught by the lobster but I wasn't sure...

4" would probably be fine. I'd lay it on it's side and bury part of it in the substrate. I don't think the clay will mess with the pH. I've had one in my tank for a week with no changes.

I'm pretty sure the frog would be lunch.

Get a plain clay flower pot. They're dirt cheap.

lol, couldnt help but laugh since clay is pretty much dirt lol...

the clay wont mess with ph. ive had clay pots in my 150g and another 55g for months and hasnt done anything except give the fish a home. What I did is get 6" pots and cut them in half. I made 8 "caves" for $6. Also make sure they are the natural finish and not the glazed finish

You could do the clay pot. Crayfish will find it if it has a hole to hide in. They really don't care as long as it fits there body. They will even dig under stuff.

The clay pot wont mess with the ph.

Thanks guys :D I Shall pick one up tonight.
I am ordering my lobster tonight too :D

very exciting
:new-alien:

It will grab any fish it can. They aren't ideal for a community tank.

Then again, there's one guy I talk to here and there who has one and he swears it hs never attemped to get to any of his fish. I guess crays have different personalities too, but that's the exception not the norm. Best not to risk it.

Best to give him some company and order a few IMO. And if you have plants/decor, expect him to rearrange them all to suit himself, not you :)

It will grab any fish it can. They aren't ideal for a community tank.

Then again, there's one guy I talk to here and there who has one and he swears it hs never attemped to get to any of his fish. I guess crays have different personalities too, but that's the exception not the norm. Best not to risk it.

There aree lots of species that will eat fish but some species are more scavengers then hunters. I would not risk it either but i believe the Aust. blue is 1 that scavenges.

And if you have plants/decor, expect him to rearrange them all to suit himself, not you :)

This is very true. He will find somewhere to hide and he will put HIS tank like he likes it.

Best to give him some company and order a few IMO.

umm, no. This is not a good idea. Crays are VERY territorial little buggers. They will tear any of there won kind apart. Unless you have a large tank (20g is not large) this is definatly a no no.

Just wanted to mention that you want to make sure that you cover all exits very well. My first 2 crays found a way out of my tanks. The first 1 died because my sister stepped on it.

Like i was saying. There are species of crayfish that are just scavengers. Sure they will get the occasional fish but hey, a crayfish does what a crayfish does. I would experiment. Throw some neons or a small school of tetras in there and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom