Australian Rainbowfish swimming oddly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~my Australian Rainbowfish (female) is swimming constantly "upward" at a 45 degree angle. She does not appear bloated. Today I noticed white feces coming from her instead of the usual brownish color. She seems to still have a lot of energy and readily comes to te glass for food every time I walk by (am not feeding today because of this just in case) She also kind of looks disheveled? No torn fins, not really clamped- just kid of stressed?

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates ~20, temp 78, ph 7.6 (very stable and never deviates from this reading.)

3~ 87 gallon tank, set up for about 3/4 months but was transferred as an upgrade from my 55 gallon that I've had for years.

4~Cascade canister filter 1500 rated for a 200gallon tank (mine is 87 gallons) also tons of live, fast growing plants.

5~There are about 30 fish in the tank. Various barbs -gold, denisons, and red glass, 2 dwarf gourami, 6 rainbows including the sick one, pictus cat fish and bala shark) - all are very very young except gold barbs and gourami.

6~~30% water change weekly. I use Prime to dechlorinate and Leaf Zone (daily) for plant ferts.

7~Had this fish since tank start up about 3 months ago.

8~New addition: the most recent fish were red glass barbs and 2 dwarf gourami about 2-3 weeks ago. I also switched from fake to live plants (water sprite and anacharis) about the same time.

9. Diet: New Life Spectrum Thera+A (with garlic) once daily except for once a week when I feed live tiny black worms. I feed those black worms to my 2 eels by hand daily because they're babies (I suppose a small worm here or there may escape in the process for other fish?) I read that she could possibly be constipated, have a parasite, or maybe a swim bladder issue? I'm just looking for some advice on this problem!

Edit: today I moved her to a makeshift sick tank dosed with aquarium salt, as I don't know why she's sick still. Other than appearing stressed, her scales are raised and her eyes are large (darker?). Anyone have any ideas hat this is?

Back
Top Bottom