Baby convicts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK,I am quite confused.2 months ago I had a 3 inch convict and a 2 inch pleco in a 10 gallon tank.I went to the pet store and bought 2 convicts.One was about 1 inch long and the other was about 2 inches.I put them in with the 3 inch convict and the pleco.They spent one week all together and the bigger convict was really giving the little ones a hard time so I took out the big convict and the pleco and put in one little cory cat.So now I have 1 2 inch and one 1 inch convict and 1 little cory together in a 10 gallon.Well,last night I was feeding them and I noticed these little things swinming around behind a rock.Upon closer observation I discovered around 40 or 50 tiny,tiny,little fry.Could this be baby convicts and if so HOW did this happen.With all the tention between all the fish and the moving around of things by me I dont understand how they could have been in ideal conditions to have fry.Do convicts produce alot of fry.I really am confused.What do I do with them.Do I let them stay in the tank with the 2 convicts and the cory.?Can I feed the fry to my 2 big oscars ?Thanks for your help.

First...congrats on your new fry! I know you're surprised that they spawned but they did :)

I'm not into the "feeding my fish fry" (no pun intended). I don't have a ton of info on convict fry but another member (DevilishTurtles) just had convict fry recently and from what I remember, she kept the fry in the tank and fed BBS.

Since your not entirely certain that both are the parents, you may want to move both adults for the time being until you get a more accurate opinion.

It might be worthwhile to grow them out if you have the room..ie a grow-out tank.. and sell them to a LFS if there intrested.. I dont like the idea of feading convict fry either.. and it does take a while for the eggs to hatch out.. so it would be diffcult to figure out wich fish are the parents.. if the current residents are not the parents they would eat them pretty quick most likely..

Yes cons produce alot of fry.If there is only about 50 of them then its prob from your 1" con.I have a 5"male and a 4" female and she lays about 200-400 eggs.I would leave them in there and feed some bbs or i use first bites baby food. Then about 2 weeks later i switch to crushed up flakes. And cons dont really need ideal conditions to breed.IF you dont have the room for them then get rid of the female.Because you will soom be over run with cons.Or just feed them to your O's.But i dont like feeding fish feeders either.And if you try to sell them good luck.Around here they are so common no lfs will take them.

Back
Top Bottom