Baby Flowerhorn Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PapaRoach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 20 gallon long community tank with 1 blue gourami (about 3 inches), 10 black phantom tetras, and 6 peppered corys. Im interested in getting a flowerhorn and eventually housing him alone in a 55 gallon tank.

The plan as of right now is to purchase 3 baby flowerhorns from my local pet store and raise them just until they are old enough to determine which is a male and which I want to keep. At which point I would bring the other 2 back to the pet store. The issue is that I won't have the 55 gallon tank set up for about 2 months. My question is, would 1"-2" flowerhorns be docile enough to live with my current community in the meantime or would the 3 baby flowerhorns wreak havoc in my community tank if I were to put them in the 20 long in the mean time?

Also, would the amount of hiding places I provide for fish in my tank have any impact on the outcome at all?

Last edited:
Hello, I've never kept flowerhorns. I did research because eventually I may. From what I understand, they are very aggressive & territorial even at a young age & recommended that they should be kept alone. I personally know that our local petco stopped carrying them because of this(special order only). Hope this helps!

Why not adopt an adult once you have your large tank? That way you know the gender right away.

I would definitely do that if I could find a fish to adopt. From looking online it seems that adults cost upwards of $200 which is out of my budget right now as a college student.

Back
Top Bottom