Baby makin time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knutsen1122

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my discus just laid eggs in my community tank, which is exciting! But now I wonder if I should pull them and the thermometer, leave them and put a divider in, or see how things play out?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422853368.020126.jpg

I would put a divider in with only the eggs and parent discus. If you take the eggs out you'll need an artificial rearing system cause the fry need that special nutrient slime that the parents make. Good luck with the babies!

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

I agree to leave them all together. New parents usually have no clue what they're doing and you may have a couple spawns that they wind up eating them. It just happens. Set up looks good so far and helps give them a little "security feeling" the others won't be a threat.

On a side note, now that you've seen the female is capable of laying eggs on the vertical thermometer, I would highly suggest to turn the heater horizontal. IF she decides to lay eggs on that AND the element is on, it could sear the breeding tube closed. In time this will ultimately lead to a premature death as she will not be able to pass the eggs. Congrats and good luck !!

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Pull 1/2 when they are free swimming for 2-3 days and raise them separately incase the parents eat the fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh yeah! I saw a pair of blue marble angels preparing a heater for a spawn. Poor choice, the poor things.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Back
Top Bottom