Baby Molly Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyTy98

Aquarium Advice Regular
This morning my female molly gave birth to one baby. Well I think she is the mother. I just broke my breeding net. That is where I was going to put the baby until it grew up! Any ideas of things I can use as a nursery until I buy a good quality one??

balance your aquarium net under your tank lid and keep it in there for now... thats what i had to do once :) (you may need something to weigh down the other end of the net, and make sure the net part is a little past the tank lid, balancing on the hatch rather than the lid itself.

Are you planning on having more molly fry or just this one?
I have 3 females giving birth every month and I move the fry into a 10 gal newborn tank.. they swim all over within the first day.. some immediately and some sit and hunker down in the rocks. They (several batches of fry....approx 90 total) were able to live in my 10 gallon for 4-6 weeks before I moved them to a 20g L.. leaving my 10 gal open for newborns coming in....
I've never used a breeder net with mom only because I was afraid of stressing her out and with fry because I have such large quantities and after seeing them enjoy swimming so much after a day or two old I couldn't put them in a box. I understand money and space can be an issue.. it is for me too! I just work with what little I have and then expand from there. At my Petsmart 10 gal tanks are $12 regular price. I guess because I "make it work" is the reason I have two 10 gal tanks, a 20g L, and a 29 g. :) All from starting a 10 gal about 10 wks ago!!
It would be completely different though if you only have one baby..
Have fun with your little one : ) What kind of molly?

Back
Top Bottom