Baby Mosquitoes In My Home! Betta Fish to Blame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaFishLoverM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Baby mosquitos have been seen in my home in almost every room! In fact, I just swatted two as I wrote this. They eat us alive. My parents (who live with us) think that my fish are to blame, and who am I to disagree? I have two betta fish, a guppy, and a turtle, all in tanks without lids because I bought the tanks from a used tank site. I haven't seen any mosquito larvae in the tanks, though. What should I do?

Baby mosquitos have been seen in my home in almost every room! In fact, I just swatted two as I wrote this. They eat us alive. My parents (who live with us) think that my fish are to blame, and who am I to disagree? I have two betta fish, a guppy, and a turtle, all in tanks without lids because I bought the tanks from a used tank site. I haven't seen any mosquito larvae in the tanks, though. What should I do?

If you have not seen any larva on the tanks perhaps that is not the source. Get a mosquito zapper.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I doubt is is because of your fish if you never saw larvae. Also those fish you listed like to eat mosquito larvae

Is the turtle in it's own tank with no fish ? If so check that tank closely. The larvae dive down to bottom when lights are turned on.

Are your tanks filtered? Mosquitos love stagnant water. Do you live in a swampy area?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
has it rained , someone mow there grass , standing water mud puddles , are you close to a lake or pond marsh land , do you keep a lot of fruit out could be fruit fly's

Mosquito larvae are nom for bettas. If it was one of the tanks I would blame the turtle.

Skeeter's

there no way they are propagating in the Betta tank.
I have purposly taken my fish net outside & netted 3-4 dozen @ a time, then placed a doz or so into wifes 5g Betta tank.
At most they last .5-1hr,poor lil guy could hardly swim the 1st few times after the feast untill we dropped the numbers.
we keep the extra's in a 1L cottage cheese container & fed those a cple days later.
You have standing water outside very near by would be my Guess,skeeters very unlikly to mate inside a home..
if you want to try & lure them away read up on the DIY c02 stuff make a solution & place that some wheres they can find( downwind) then you maybe able to get them back outside. GL

Back
Top Bottom