Baby platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently on day 41 of a fish in cycle
With the readings I am getting it very close to the end
Ammonia 0.10
Nitrites0
Nitrate 10
Ph 7.5

Ammonia drop slightly over night
May have even finished

I am cycling with 2 Platys about 4 week ago I noticed that there behaviour was a little strange. Chasing about and rubbing up against each others side.
I thought this looked like matting behaviour but dismissed it coz I was cycling and conditions in the tank were to say the least ideal.

On getting up this morning I checked the tank took about 3 snails out, feed them, and all looked fine .
Went to make myself a hot drink and sat near my tank. Looked at the tank and noticed something near the filter out take, and on closer inspection I have a baby platy very small swimming about happy as larry eating some of the food.
He/she is hiding in the grassy live plants at the mo but I need to get a fry nursery chamber and will get one today.

I am in hope he will survive but I am surprised to see him seeing as I have been cycling. Although I have tried to maintain a low ammonia and nitrite level with regular WC
I feel like celebrating

My platies did the same with my first tank with in fish cycle. Eventually they all got eaten.

Got a fry chamber from lfs, but i couldn't find him in the tank when I got back

Took the plants and decor out very carefully and am pretty sure he has gone

Gutted

This may sound crazy, but check your filter. My platy spawned and I never knew, until I went to clean the HOB filter. Where the carbon goes, there was 10 itty-bitty fry, happy as clams.

:blink:

Somehow they got sucked up through the intake and were okay. They lived for years in that tank, after we got them a bit bigger. :D

Hope you find yours!!!

Checked filter and no baby platy
Gutted

I have got my baby platys got the nursing tank in with 6 baby platys
looks like she had more babys over night

Back
Top Bottom