Baby Red Cherry Shrimp and Baby Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I decided to turn a quarantine tank into a Red Cherry Shimp tank, so there are 5 adults in there (3 female + 2 males) and they are doing fine, one female is all berried and likely to release in a few days.

I had a community tank with baby plecos, and surprisingly all were being eaten by (top suspect) Rosy Barbs, or possibly SAE's. Maybe Angels but I don't think so. But definitely eaten.

I grabbed 5 of the babies before they exited the cave, and put them into the shrimp tank, where they are happy. They have been there about a week, so I guess that makes them about 2 weeks or less from egg.

Will the baby plecos eat the baby shrimp?

The plecos will go away when they get a bit bigger, enough to be in a community tank (actually will probably take them to auction). But I'd like to let them grow up a bit.

But I really do want the shrimp to breed -- it's a 30G tank and there are only 5 shrimp!!

On a related subject -- I put a regular pond prefilter on the canister in the quarantine tank (This one), if anyone has seen it, do you think it is fine enough to avoid injesting the baby shrimp? I love those filters, use them in all tanks, but it is not a fine sponge.

Back
Top Bottom