Baby RES Eye Problems?? Please Help Me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HB87

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my baby turtles eyes are shut. When he opens them its only half way and they are all red and puffy. He has been just laying on the turtle dock basking with closed eyes and if I go by the tank he jumps into the water eyes still closed and runs into stuff. I dry docked him and he did open his eyes but as soon as he went back in the tank he went back to closing his eyes. I noticed he kind of paws at his eyes to try and open them. I have other turtles as well but they are fine. What can I do to help him get better?? I called my vet who said give it a week and it should clear up and if it doesnt then we can make an appointment. I'm worried though. Any ideas what caused this and how to remedy it??? Thanks.

Also, to give an idea of his habitat conditions....

I have him and 2 other small RES in a 55 gallon tank. I have the water heater set at 78°. I have a Reptifilter on one side of the tank and a 60 gallon filter on the other. I have a turtle dock with heat and uvb bulbs. The uvb is a Reptisun 5.0 and the heat is a 75 watt heat bulb (got at Petsmart) I do 25% water changes twice a week and remove all waste. There is no substrate. I add ReptiSafe during the water changes. There is one aquaruim decoration for them to hang from when they rest. I also just put a few minnows in the tank last week. I have a cuttlebone calcium thing in the water also. I have fed them zoomed aquatic turtle food since I got them. Also, once a week they get dried shrimp as a treat. I have researched possible causes and found eye infection or lack of vitamin A could cause this. How do I know which it is though? Also, if I got the zoomed turtle eyedrops would that help?

The uvb bulb is maybe 2 weeks old. I had called a vet that sees turtles and they told me to just leave the turtle be for a week and it'd clear up most likely. Its been a few days and the little guy just lays on the turtle dock with its eyes closed. Where can i buy eye drops? i am willing to try anything. Seeing him like this is breaking my heart :(

I recommend you join the forum over at redearedslider.com for more advice. Good luck with your babes and let us know the outcome.

The one with the eye problems passed away overnight. :( im heartbroken... But i appreciate the help and info shared

Thanks. I felt so bad about the lil guy passing. I gave my turtles to a girl who works at my vets office who has turtles of her own. Maybe turtles arent meant for me :( and i didnt want to risk the other babies or my larger turtle getting sick and going through what the one lil one did.

Are you using a compact UVB or tube? There is some debate on the older models causing eye problems, which repisun and exoterra gave both "fixed" one.

Here are pictures of what i was using. And my heat bulb was All Living Things 75 watt.

It was Repti Glo not Repti Sun, sorry.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111104_183343.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111104_183343.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 59
  • ForumRunner_20111104_183400.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111104_183400.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 55
  • ForumRunner_20111104_183417.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111104_183417.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 52
That is the compact version of the bulb. I think you were just unlucky, I don't think it's a mark on your title keeping abilities.

The problems with these bulbs were meant to have been sorted but as said a hot debate rages on about the effect of compacts on eyes. It could have been a factor for sure but we will never know. It's a shame you lost him, and a shame your not continuing keeping.

Omg haven't been on in a few days. So sorry to hear! I know it doesn't help now but Zoo Med carries eye drops and supplements can be bought at any reptile store or online. I don't know about petsmart or Pj's but I never recommend those companies because of their complete lack of ethic's.

I didnt know if it was something i caused so i didnt want to risk losing the other guys plus im still crushed that the lil guy passed :( i spent alot of money to ensure they were happy and well taken care of and i feel like i failed them...

I had talked to my vet and he said not to try and self treat it. He said leave it be for a week and then bring it in if it didnt clear up so i didnt buy the eye drops. I wish i had though just in case it would have helped :(

HB87 said:
I didnt know if it was something i caused so i didnt want to risk losing the other guys plus im still crushed that the lil guy passed :( i spent alot of money to ensure they were happy and well taken care of and i feel like i failed them...

I had talked to my vet and he said not to try and self treat it. He said leave it be for a week and then bring it in if it didnt clear up so i didnt buy the eye drops. I wish i had though just in case it would have helped :(

Sounds like you did all you could. You took the poor little guy to the vet ( which most people wouldn't for a turtle)
The "professional" told you to wait out for a week. Like most people you followed the advice of your vet. Don't beat yourself up, you cared, you took action..... What more could you have done?

I know you're right. I did do all i could and i helped the lil guy as much as i could. I just feel bad that despite trying my best to do everything right i couldnt save him. Maybe once i'm not so upset i will try agian keeping turtles.. Maybe it was just a coincidence, an unfortunate one. Thank you guys for responding and caring. I appreciate it.

Yeah don't give up, turtles are amazing creatures and are very rewarding life long friends. If we gave up after one fish death we would mostly all be without fish. Lol.

As said previously you did all you could, your obviously caring, so I'm sure your turtles appreciated you while you had them.

Okay... I wont give up :)

I did get the turtles from TurtleShack and had read mixed reviews. My turtles were healthy except the eye problem with the one lil one. I took them to be vet checked a week after i got them just to make sure. Maybe i will order from a different breeder though when i do try agian. Im just leary of something like this happening agian. :-/

Do you have a rescue society where you live? Not sure what store that is I don't have it here. Do you have kijiji or craigs list? I got my slider in a ma&pa china town style aquarium store they had him in a 20 gallon tank with 2" of dirty nasty water. He had a bite out of his nuchal scute or had some traumatic force there???who knows! His eye had a thin film over it!
So I put him in a 75g; gave him wicked lighting (very important) basking, deep water, good heater superior filtering and he literally became better in a week!! Really a week! So don't beat yourself up about the week thing!!
You should try to rescue if you want another stay away from breeders!! Turtles require a lot of care that the common person can not provide and breeders are indiscriminate on who they sell to and contribute to an overwhelming problem.

Im not sure if we have a turtle rescue. Im glad you rescued your turtle and he is doing good :) im going to see if we have any kind of rescue here.

Back
Top Bottom