Baby shrimp help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrizza

Aquarium Advice Activist
WELL my first batch of 10 red cherry shrimp arrived with 10 red cherry shrimp and some little surprise babies!!!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400104725.672572.jpg
How can I keep these baby guys separate from my main tank alive so they can grow big and strong???

My main tank has 14 neons and one guppy... They can't go in there!

I do not have another tank, or another filter.... I do for some reason have a "breeding box" that kind of hangs over the side of the tank and would use the filtered tank water. How could I keep them from escaping the box though? These holes on the bottom are big...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400105487.283288.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400105528.889542.jpg

Put some sponge on the holes, this will keep the oxygen from the filter running through it and you won't have to worry about any escapees ;)

Oh good idea I happen to have extra sponge. You don't think they will get down inside the sponge, though? What if If can't get them out!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400107567.821281.jpg

Here is what I ultimately came up with. Its a lot of work to spot even one of them in there- they are so small! But dropping them in I counted 14 of them.

What did you end up stuffing into the slots? The shrimplets will appreciate a bit of plant material. Both for cover and biofilm.

Sponge.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400193674.472271.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400193699.201809.jpg

I have a small plant I can put in. I'll do that now.

Awesome! In the nursery you will be able to observe them closely. Baby shrimp get lost in my 20g shrimp tank; I see them occasionally grazing on the back wall.

Nice lil holding tank. They might make it now. When feed the fish add a lil to the breeder box for the lil guys (every other day or so), but just a lil. It will sink and they will eat. Fingers crossed

I will be following! I have a tiny ghosty survivor about that size. I'm worried if I try to catch it a guppy or danio will beat me to him. So he stays in his safe spot.

Just wanted to commiserate, I found nine ghost shrimp living in my filter they have to be at least a month old.

Happy baby shrimp adventures!

WImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401331376.283657.jpg they were living on the blue part. Haven't seen any floating upside down babies in a month. I thought I saw a newly hatched danio get sucked in so I tried to rescue it and found shrimpettes instead. I'll try to get a pic.

Back
Top Bottom