Baby Snails in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5 gal tank set up for a quarantine/hospital tank. Right now there's no fish in it and there are a few live plants. I just noticed some snails in there. Anyone know what kind they are and if I should get rid of them? I'm thinking about putting a betta in there but I don't want a tank full of snails. I don't mind one or two but that's it.

Attachments

• baby snail (1).jpg
    baby snail (1).jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 65
  • baby snail (2).jpg
    baby snail (2).jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 65
The second looks like an Apple snail. I think you will get a lot of snails. You should check for eggs.

Last edited:
I think the first one is mts and the second a pond snail. They are ok as long as you don't over feed.

Thanks! I haven't noticed any eggs but if they are super small I might not see them. Right now there is nothing to feed in the tank so I guess they are just living off algae or something. I guess if they get too troublesome I can get an assassin snail to take care of them can't I?

MTS's are live bearers so you won't see eggs from them and if there isn't enough food they won't give birth. Pond snails will lay tiny flat egg clusters anywhere and you often don't see them. An assissin snail will work down the road if you want to get rid of the other snails if they become an issue.

Back
Top Bottom