Baby tears in T8 lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NativeTank7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Iv been trying to find a local foreground plant for my dirted 55 gallon coming together. Been waiting on setting it up so I can have everything I need. The question is would baby tears grow in a 55 gallon aquarium with 4 T8 flourecents 32 watts for each bulb. 128 watts exact

From what I have been told by my lfs... is they need high light, so if you have a deep tank and I mean more then 1foot then you will need t5s the light goes deeper or better flux form what I have read 2x+ better and co2. I'm working on getting these cuz I want some tears too. I have heard people putting them with t8s but they just don't spread like you would want them too.

From what I have been told by my lfs... is they need high light, so if you have a deep tank and I mean more then 1foot then you will need t5s the light goes deeper or better flux form what I have read 2x+ better and co2. I'm working on getting these cuz I want some tears too. I have heard people putting them with t8s but they just don't spread like you would want them too.

Yea iv heard of them growing more vertical than horizontal in low light. I just wonder how low my lighting really is lol if they do grow horizontal I could cut them and replant to spread them maybe. I just wish my LFS would sale dwarf sage. That's what I was wanting first now I'm trying to find others instead

I have some DS and its just tall grass and I have not had much luck with it spreading. Again..... low light I just have one t8.... so looking at hydroponics stores for cheaper lighting then lfs.

I have a 55 with 2 HO T5 about the same wattage you have and have never been able to keep it alive it grows up for about 3 months then slowly dies

Needs lots of co2

Yea iv been doing the DIY co2 on the 10 gallon holding tank. Trying to figure out how I'm going to do it for the 55. I may just go the excel route. Thing is my LFS only has the API co2 booster and Iv heard that its a lower dosage of carbon than excel so would I have to double dose or what?

Just get excel off line, and the DIY co2 for your 55... I never done it but from what I have seen on YouTube vids over 40g its just too much work, once you get the pressurized co2 going up keep is cheep.

Just get excel off line, and the DIY co2 for your 55... I never done it but from what I have seen on YouTube vids over 40g its just too much work, once you get the pressurized co2 going up keep is cheep.

Yea I may try that or check a few other LFS in the area to see. I wish I could afford the pressurized set up but car maintanence comes first lol got to make it to work somehow :) hopefully soon I will be able to get one but the thought is I'm trying to keep it real low tech. When I take an adventure into high tech I might get one lol

Where does It start to die at first the top or bottom of the plant?

The leaves at the bottom die first then it moves up, lower parts die slightly faster then new parts can grow using 2 co2 fermentation cans and excel

The leaves at the bottom die first then it moves up, lower parts die slightly faster then new parts can grow using 2 co2 fermentation cans and excel

That sucks :( maybe it was lack of light at the bottom but I don't think it would make the hole plant die so not sure on that one. I may just buy a small amount just to see what I can do with it and if it don't work il have to keep looking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom