Back in the game after 20 plus years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

I was quite the aquarium enthusiast in my teens, but my interest fell off as I got older. Over the years I still had the desire and contemplated it many times. Well, here at 39 I just received the Marineland 60 gallon tank with stand and hooded lighting for Christmas. I guess I mentioned an aquarium one too many times so my wife surprised me with this setup.

Anyway, she also bought a fluval three phase filtration system for it, but the illustration on the packaging shows it installed on a tank with no cover present. Are any of you guys familiar with my tank, and if so do you have any recommendations for filtration systems? More specifically, a filtration system that will work with my hoods and that will have some type of biological component. To start out, I am probably NOT going with a sump system so keep that in mind when advising. This fluval I have is what I would like to go with, but I don't see how it would work without removing the hoods.

Oh, my system will be freshwater although I am leaning towards artificial coral decor. Please feel free to opine with pros and cons in that regard! Additionally, what substrate is optimal considering aesthetics and maintenance? Is crushed coral acceptable in a freshwater system? What if any issues are associated with crushed coral i.e. vacuuming, freshwater compatibility, etc.

As I have previously stated, I have been out of the Aquarium life for more than 20 years. If anyone has any recommendations that are out of the scope of what I have outlined, then by all means, enlighten me or give direction on something to try. Whether it be design or materials I am open to suggestions.

Thank you,

Back
Top Bottom