Back in the habit :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nibynool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All!

Well it's been about 2 years since I've had any real aquariums going, and I'm finally getting the time to get back into thi wonderfully time consuming, expensive hobby.

At the moment I'm setting up a 20 gallon Neon Tetra tank in my lounge room. At the moment I'm manually cycling the tank with the addition of ammonia, I'm also sourcing driftwood to make it look good before I begin planting it. My intention is to plant it wil Echinodorus parviflorus, Bacopa australis and Echinodorus angustifolious. I will then stock with with Neon Tetras (Paracheirodon innesi) and either a pair of Emerald Catfish (Brochis splendens) or a pair of Dwarf Otos (Otocinclus affinis).

I also have:
  • 30G tank which I'm contemplating where to put it;
  • 40G tank which I am also trying to find a location for and will be a 'high-tech' planted tank
  • 5G tank that will most likely end up in the bedroom, but I'm not sure what I will stock it with yet;
  • 320G tank which is currently in storage until I can reinforce my floor and build a stand for it, this is destined to become a reef tank in my dining room (when money permits).
I look forward to getting help from other members and helping other members where I can and hope that I can be of use to some of the less experienced out there.

Definately looking forward to following that 320g build.

Unfortunately the 320G will be a while off, before I can even contemplate putting water in the tank I need to strengthen my floor (I live in a 100+ year old wood house) and I also need to re-stump the house to ensure it is level (which at the moment it is not). I also need to save up to buy the lights and other equipment required for a tank that size, and due to the power consumption for a reef tank of that size I'm seriously considering solar power. I do intend to take photos as I do all the work, but with my current income being rather low due to starting a business I can't see anything happening on the actual tank in the next few years.

Well, good luck with reinforcement, sounds like quite a bit of work. I honestly don't think the solar panel(s) needed would pay themselves off during the life of the tank.

Could always experiment with that 30g for the time being, unless there are plans for that.

I honestly don't think the solar panel(s) needed would pay themselves off during the life of the tank.
Maybe not, but I would put in a big enough system to cope with some of the other power usage in the house; also, power prices here (country NSW, Australia) are skyrocketting, so I don't want to set-up a system I then can't afford to run.

Could always experiment with that 30g for the time being, unless there are plans for that.
I was considering modifying the 30G with an overflow and putting a small(ish) sump underneath it. I just can't work out where in the house to locate it, I seem to be running out of room, maybe I'll have to finish the renovations on one of the bedrooms and put it in there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom