Background application, Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best technique for properly attaching the standard background to the back of your tank to make it I guess flush and properly attached. Like right now I just have it taped and it looks a bit lame and also the blue won't show at all because of the slight shadow cast by it not being fully attached. On the other hand I don't want to like glue the background to the tank and be stuck with it for life. What are my options? Thanks for the advice and help.

Haha... Not Permanent!! Plus I can't copy that tight fade from dark to light that the blue background has...

I never used tape, I just got it wet and stuck it the glass and used a squeegee.
It's not 100% perfect, youll have a few bubbles here and there but my last background was on there for 5 years.

I used olive oil. Apply it to the film then place it on the tank. I then used a credit card to pull out all the bubbles. It worked great. Just becareful not to get any oil in the tank. I applied the spray away from the tank then used a rag to wipe up excess to prevent accidental exposure.

I used olive oil. Apply it to the film then place it on the tank. I then used a credit card to pull out all the bubbles. It worked great. Just becareful not to get any oil in the tank. I applied the spray away from the tank then used a rag to wipe up excess to prevent accidental exposure.

Yup-- Agreed. Olive or vegetable oil works very well. In fact, you can buy stuff to attach your background to the tank that is marketed as "non-toxic". It is just a 30mL jar of vegetable oil that costs like $5. :)

you can buy stuff to attach your background to the tank that is marketed as "non-toxic". It is just a 30mL jar of vegetable oil that costs like $5./QUOTE]

Haha So many things for sale in our area end up being like that but I guess its just business. And thanks for the tips I'll cut it to size and get it on there perfect tonight if I can.

you can buy stuff to attach your background to the tank that is marketed as "non-toxic". It is just a 30mL jar of vegetable oil that costs like $5.

Yeah that stuff works great. It's how I attached my background for my 55.
But while doing so ... I realized.... THIS IS JUST VEGI OIL! :shocked!:

So my new 30 gallon, got cheap vegi oil from the cupboard.

Live and learn!

Dave

It does make a huge difference.

Is the tiger your first Oscar? I got my tiger about three months ago- two inches (my first Oscar). He is now closer to 6 inches! They grow fast and boy are they fun.

Ya first one. I got him a few weeks ago He started at about maybe a bit over an inch and now he is probably closer to three. They beef up pretty quick. Especially since I'm a softy and feed him all the time!

mine would see me coming to his tank with the food and several times jumped out and bit my finger. could never get used to it no matter how many times he did it. he was about a foot long and seeing it jump out at me was kinda scary

Back
Top Bottom