Backround paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kowalski

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I use sprays ain't for my glass or house paint or do I need special aquarium glass paint

Sorry I was getting lazy. Is it possible for me to use spray painter or interrior paint for my glass? Do I need a special glass paint?

I was going to paint my background, but my tank is unmovable since its filled.
I went out to walmart, and bought some black posterboard, and cut it to the size of my tank.
I think it looks really good and it took me 10 mins of cutting and taping, and maybe $4,
I can add a pic tommarrow when my tanks lights come on.
I dont need to tape it to the back of the tank either, the hob filter keeps it up and against the glass.
Im not against spray painting the back, its just that this was easier for me, and i may want a different colored background one day.

You can use any kind of paint. I have used acrylics before but I know a lot of members have used spray paint.

You can use any kind of paint. I have used acrylics before but I know a lot of members have used spray paint.

Well see when i Hear acrylic paint o Hear that isnt made for glass. So im guessing there is no actually glass paint. If acrylic paint isnt to expensive ill go with that i not ill go with spray paint.

Would you all say a black background and white sand with convicts will be okay? I want to get play sand from home depot thats why its alot cheaper and im on a low budget since im 16 and dont have a job :p

Acrylic paint is gonna be pretty cheap. It should probably only run you 3-4 bucks at Walmart. It's sold in little plastic bottles in the art section.

Acrylic paint is gonna be pretty cheap. It should probably only run you 3-4 bucks at Walmart. It's sold in little plastic bottles in the art section.

Oh alright that's not that bad

Spraying it would probably give you a more even coverage. Brushing it on will most likely leave brush strokes/lines it in.

I used flat black krylon spray paint to paint the back glass on my tank. Its like $4 for a can. It looks really good. I turned my tank upside down (so no paint gets inside) and taped paper over all the glass I didn't want paint to get on. Very simple. :). And I think a black and white tank would look cool with some convicts in it. You'll have to do the spray in 2 or 3 coats. If you spray it too thick it will run.

I Used one 2oz bottle of Americana acrylic paint I got at the hobby store to paint the background of my 20 gal high tank.
So that I won't get streaks I used a small sponge roller had recommend by uarujoey on YouTube. This is the link to his DIY paint tank background video:
I got my sponge roller at Lowe's:
http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...0051&productId=3595798&store=1583&view=detail
Do not cut the roller out by cutting the plastic. The plastic is the actual paint tray.

I used flat black krylon spray paint to paint the back glass on my tank. Its like $4 for a can. It looks really good. I turned my tank upside down (so no paint gets inside) and taped paper over all the glass I didn't want paint to get on. Very simple. :). And I think a black and white tank would look cool with some convicts in it. You'll have to do the spray in 2 or 3 coats. If you spray it too thick it will run.

Alright thanks, not a gloss spray paint but flat black

Back
Top Bottom