Bacopa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsmarsig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anybody know what species Petsmart sells as "Bacopa plant", and will they eventually grow roots - I've having the hardest time getting them to stay anchored, and they are super fragile. Any suggestions?

I don't know what Petsmart has, but can you post of pic of yours? Bacopa caroliniana and B. monnieri are two of the most common ones. I had the hardest time with B. caroliniana until I got CO2. Sometimes stem plants float up and don't stay anchored when they don't have enough light, IME. You could try to place it where it gets the most light in the tank. The Bacopa will eventually grow roots. In the meantime, you can bury the last leaf into the substrate and see if that helps to anchor it. That's what I do and it doesn't hinder their growth. I trim mine almost every week in my 5 gallon. I cut a few inches off the bottom, including the roots, if it's too tall for the tank. Then I anchor the stem in the substrate using the last pair of leaves, and it continues to grow, until the next time it's trimmed!

Here's a couple of pictures. Does anybody know the species? Thanks for the advice so far.

Attachments

• 2-14_scaled_136.jpg
    2-14_scaled_136.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 90
  • bacopa_2-14_scaled_113.jpg
    bacopa_2-14_scaled_113.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 83
  • bacopa_2-14b_scaled_805.jpg
    bacopa_2-14b_scaled_805.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 140
I have that plant and it's definitely Bacopa Caroliniana. Yes eventually they will grow roots and once they do, the plant will grow very fast. Once it gets tall enough, you can cut it and replant the clippings which will then root in a few days. The other end will sprout new stems and continue to grow. Mine grows so fast that I'm starting to run out of room for the clippings lol.

I agree that it's a B. caroliniana. When mine is too tall, I cut the bottom few inches off and replant the top part, using the last pair of leaves to anchor if necessary. To grow more stems, I have planted the bottom part that I've cut away - the part with the roots - and this part has grown 2-3 "heads" per stem. When they are tall enough, I'll cut them away from the old clipping, and I'll have about 10 new stems. They are growing very fast for me too.

Back
Top Bottom