bad luck with cardinals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clancy888

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so, when i started my tank in may, i knew i wanted a pair of bangaii cardinals.
the bf wanted a firefish, so we got that first in june. i figured i should get any other peaceful fish i may want before adding 'semi-aggressive' cardinals, so i got a tank-bred ocellaris clown in july.

in august, i got one bangaii from one lfs (only one left) and one from a different lfs the next day. they each died three days after purchase in the 10g qt. the pH was out of control. i hadn't checked it with the other parameter checks at first because, since may, the pH hasn't strayed at all. so, that was a terrible mistake on my part and i felt awful.
since, i've been diligent in checking water parameters and haven't subjected any fish to less than ideal water.

i got another pair of bangaiis in september that died about a week after purchase. one of the fish may have been beat up by the other, but two days later, the other one died, too. after that, i drained the tank and cleaned it with some vinegar.

last monday, i bought another pair. one died friday, the other died yesterday.

of all 6, i only witnessed one eat (wouldn't eat frozen mix of shrimp, garlic, and nori that the dt gets regularly,but it finally ate a live bloodworm), so 2-3 of the fish very well may have died from starvation (i know, i know, i should've requested to see them eat at the lfs).

i have a last ditch effort in mind before completely giving up on having bangaiis.
i plan to empty the qt and clean it with bleach before purchasing a pair of tank-bred cardinals from dr.s foster & smith.
the bleach would be precautionary, just in case the fish that have died were sick, even though i doubt it. and i figure buying tank-bred is not only better for the species at large, but they've ONLY eaten in captivity, so feeding wouldn't be such an issue (my tank-bred clown eats from my hand) and i'd have a better chance at keeping some healthy, happy fish.

so my question: is it time i finally stop torturing this kind of fish? or does my final attempt sound alright?

Sorry for your loses. Yes tank bred bangiis are a better option and you should give that a try. Remember that a 10g is a very small tank and conditions can and will go south fast. so your best bet would be to do PWC's on a daily or twice weekly time table.
Good luck...

thanks for the encouragement and the pointer.
i won't be able to afford new fish until after the new year, so hopefully the next two months of keeping my two marine fish and full fresh tank healthy will do much to make the feeling of being a fish torturer subside.

Back
Top Bottom