Bad storm, lost power..will my fish be okay???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tsaye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We lost electric about 5 hours ago, the electric company said it might not be fixed tonight, will my fish be okay without their filter?? I just bought them all this month and I'm already attached to them.

Put the filter media into aquarium water to keep it wet, add a battery operated bubbler to aerate. If you cant then get a tupperware or a 2 liter and poke a hole in the bottom and fill with tank water and let it drain into the tank. It keeps the water aerated. What temp is your tank supposed to be at and what temp is it now? If its extremely hot add floating bags of ice.

They should be okay just make sure that your filter media is kept wet. I would also skip to tonight's feeding so that no additional waste can be added.

calfishguy said:
They should be okay just make sure that your filter media is kept wet. I would also skip to tonight's feeding so that no additional waste can be added.

+1 on the skip feeding

The water is usually between 78 and 80 degrees. It's 94 degrees here now so the temp should be okay. I'm getting worried because they seem sluggish. Maybe it's because it's pitch black. I put the filter in water. Can they die from not having any oxygen?

Yes, there gills extract oxygen from the water, i would stir up the water or scoop up and pour back in water to keep it aerated also.

Okay I've been doing that with the water. Should I do it every hour until the power is back?

Okay, thanks so much for the help!

Power just came back on 15mins ago, I got the filter put back together and running and all my fish made it! :)

Back
Top Bottom