Bala shark compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe I could be this wrong about it all I'm devastated :(
I was originally getting advice from my lfs but I think he was just talking me into a sale

Don't be. You live and learn. Just let this be the point where you change for the better. Usually pet store are just trying to sell stuff. Always research a fish before purchasing it.

I know I guess I've got to learn the hard way. Sorry I've given some confusion I'm mean 6 silver tip tetras they are fully grown 2"

Well, not fine as is. But fine to just add some more kuhlis and neons. 6 of each would be fine. But not the knife. I'm sorry for for all these posts, it's getting late.

He's the main reason for the future tank upgrade he's awesome he eats from my hands and if I make a hoop with my finger and thumb he will do circles through it and will rest in my hand :) it's fine I'm just glad your giving me advice

For a 60g you could do 6 silver tips, 6 neons, 10 kuhlis, 2 mollies, and 8 shrimp. And there would still be more room for bigger school, or a couple medium sized fish.

He's the main reason for the future tank upgrade he's awesome he eats from my hands and if I make a hoop with my finger and thumb he will do circles through it and will rest in my hand :) it's fine I'm just glad your giving me advice

That's awesome. Great start for a big tank. That can be your next thread haha! Compatibility for a bgk.

I have read the whole thread and cant figure out why a 12-13 inch Bala shark needs a tank 350 gallon when everything I have ever read about them said they require a 6 foot long tank....reading the thread the only thing expressed is your opinion they need a 350 gallon tank, I was hoping for a reason not a opinion

None of the tetras school they just swim about doing there own thing. I was recommended to get more kuhlis but he seems fine he doesn't hide at all he will feed with all the other fish. And how long would I be able to keep Casper ( ghost knife fish corny I know) in the 6ft before I relocate him to a bigger tank?

Alright late in the game here but Im gonna add my 2 cents lol
Balas should not be kept in home aquaria. No tank you can buy would be truly suitable. At 14 inches long and very active and schoolers its just not feasable. Even a 6x6 foot tank would only allow thek to move about 6 times their body lenght before having to turn around. For some fish that might be ok but these guys are very active and need swimming space.

I dont remember the loaches max size but they need an enourmous tank for similar reasons.

The red tailed sharks are much more suited to hoke aquaria. Only keep one unless you csn offer ample room and broken lines of sight as they are territorial.

If I may what is it you are wanting out of your tank? If you like the way these fish look there are similar species that are much smaller. Balas resemble 5 lined barbs for example. If you are going for an active tank with big fish again there are much more suited species available.

Oh and what kind of knife fish is it? Black ghost need 250-300 bare bare bare minimum. They border on he same territory as balas in that they shouldnt be kept by home aquarist. African brown knife fish are much much more suited.

Please rehome any clown loaches, BGKs and Bala sharks and punch your useless LFS salesman while you're there.

I have read the whole thread and cant figure out why a 12-13 inch Bala shark needs a tank 350 gallon when everything I have ever read about them said they require a 6 foot long tank....reading the thread the only thing expressed is your opinion they need a 350 gallon tank, I was hoping for a reason not a opinion

You are mistaken of the max size of bala sharks. They can grown over 2 feet long.

GodFan I agree with you but many fish that are in our home aquariums that are not suited for them, for example a Giant danio wich is more active than bala are commonly kept in 48 inch tanks that are only 10 times their length. If we only kept fish that were suited to their tank most us should be keeping 2inch fish in at least 6 foot tanks. I personally would never keep any fish that grows over 7 or 8 inches in a tank any less than a huge tank because I think large fish jammed into a tank looks unnatural but that being said If you like the look of a Bala shark in a large 6 foot tank then go for it. NYgiantsRP a Bala shark max size is 12 to 14 inches

I will be putting the sharks on a local selling page what would be a reasonable price for them?

By the sounds of it you should release them into a lake no smaller than 50 acres

GodFan I agree with you but many fish that are in our home aquariums that are not suited for them, for example a Giant danio wich is more active than bala are commonly kept in 48 inch tanks that are only 10 times their length. If we only kept fish that were suited to their tank most us should be keeping 2inch fish in at least 6 foot tanks. I personally would never keep any fish that grows over 7 or 8 inches in a tank any less than a huge tank because I think large fish jammed into a tank looks unnatural but that being said If you like the look of a Bala shark in a large 6 foot tank then go for it. NYgiantsRP a Bala shark max size is 12 to 14 inches

Very true. It is a difficult to decide what is adaquete. With smaller fish I think it is a bit different as they dont usually develope the pacing activity. Since they are smaller there is more to explore.
I really dont think alot of the fish in the hobby are suited. Bala sharks are one but bgk are also an example. There are others but I just woke up and cant remember them lol

Back
Top Bottom