Banana Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does a banana plant need to be planted in substrate or can it be tied to a rock or piece of driftwood ?

I only read of them being planted, not the bananas. They need to be on top of the substrate. When happy they send runners to the top of the water, and grow leaves that float.

I had a banana plant and I just set it down on the substrate...and it grew really nice. It was a cool plant :)

it did not take long for my banana's to send out roots into the substrate. In fact, I had wanted to move the plant and found to my dismay that it was FIRMLY anchored. The roots had to have been quite long as no other plant ever resisted that much. The bananas' as TwoHobbies mention, do not get buried and there are 2 types of leaves, one at the banana end of the plant and then those at the ends of the runners that occur. As far as "can" it be tied to driftwood, I would guess it could, but with my experiences with the plant, I think it is happier when it can root itself.

I had the same experience as Hara. The "bananas" rest on top of the substrate and the plant will grow roots to anchor itself.

Has anyone had the experience of the bananas dissolving? Mine were growing quite well, sending multiple shoots to the top, and you can actually see how much root mass they've grown (the roots are in the sand right up against the glass). Now the banana part is turning to mush, though.

Codefox said:
The "bananas" won't stay forever. They're the equivalent of a bulb.

Will they regrow or anything?

I've been wanting to try this plant but all I can find are half-dead looking ones.

Thanks for the responses - time for me to make another pot ! I ordered one yesterday and THEN asked the question ! No issues tho- I have room for another pot or two. In fact I'm thinking of making caves with pots on top of them now. Gotta go hit the clay !!

Back
Top Bottom