Banana plants roots turning into fluff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why are the banana roots turning white and fluffy? Is it like something wrong with the tank conditions?
It's still shooting off roots and lillypads everywhere so I don't know what's wrong.
Tank is an 8g Flora. Fluval stratum planted substrate and 13w compact fluorescent.
Help!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406771798.035936.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406771829.331156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

my banana plant does the same thing. unfortunately 2 have not even gotten lily pads and the other one hasn't grown more or gotten bigger, although i do get little bananas sprout. mine is not that luscious green like it was in the store either. water levels all read good though.. hope someone replies, im curious also as this has deterred me from trying much more. i do have java moss which personally i find gross as the food gets in there, my java moss looks like it has dandruff.. :(

Could it be because of maybe the Seachem excel I put in?

I'm clueless. That's why I added to your post, in hopes that someone could tell us. I haven't added any chemical.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with this plant. How much excel do you dose? Do you dose anything else? Usually deficiencies can be told by the leaves but if they look fine than I don't think anything is wrong.

A co2 plant enhancer

It is also an algaecide but yes, its main purpose is to provide a liquid carbon source for plants, which use co2 to photosynthesize. It is good for medium or low light tanks.

I haven't read anything to the contrary, although I've seen it mentioned as a big or pond plant. Substrate doesn't seem like a big deal, just strong lighting and ferts. I'd suggest buying another plant if you're sure you have sufficient lighting and are dosing ferts. (Not CO2)

Back
Top Bottom