Bangai cardinal breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cassia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
My bangai couples (3 in separate aquaria) are producing non-fertilized eggs repeteadly. Does anyone have an idea of what could be the reason?

Here are my aquaria details: salinity of 27 PPT, Aquarium of 70L with a protein skimmer and biofiltration. Temperature of about 26-27 degrees Celsius, ammonia: 0-0.1ppm; NO2: about 0.2ppm, NO3: about 75ppm, pH:8.0.
I would appreciate your help! Thanks!

Is the male mouth brooding?
For how long?

Just noticed your water parameters...You have measurable ammonia and nitirites and nitrates are wayyyy too high. Also, pH is slightly low but that's not really a concern. You need to stars doing some 20% patial water changes till ammonia and nitrite are undectable and nitrates are below 40 (below 20 would be better).

welcometoaa.gif

Yes. The male are keeping the eggs in their mouth for more than a week and after that releasing or eating them.

Thanks for your reply. Even when my water quality was zero the eggs did not seem to be fertilized. Do you think that it can be due to the salinity of 27ppt?

first, why is this in the archives? 2nd, ive read that people have had more success with eggs by feeding the male extra before he keeps the eggs to keep him full and not want to eat the eggs. also, i read that the babies or fry or whatever, like to hang in the spines of a longspine urchin for protection until they can protect them selfs.

Moving this to the SWFish Only & FOWLR section.

Back
Top Bottom