BANGAR's 46g bowfront build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay so shrimp is definitely a filter feeder. It puts out four fans and filters the water. It's pink. One is 2 inches the other is 3 inches.

Would you guys think it is a:

African filter shrimp
Viper shrimp
Bamboo shrimp
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443453431.140356.jpg
I'll try to get a better picture soon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are definitely African filter shrimp aka vampire shimp! holy crap this is so awesome!

Can someone help me identify this fish? I think it might be a goby the tank was labeled "aphyosemion"
Which I know are killifish but it doesnt look like any I can find on the web

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443465452.874827.jpg

So 1 month after setting up the tank, this is what it looks like ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444338830.997224.jpg

Unfortunately, my girlfriend is getting asthma from the smoker that lives below us, so we have to move... Any tips on how to move this thing? Am I going to have to tear it down? Take out all the plants? Is there any good way to transport it without removing all the plants , rocks and substrate??

I need some help!

you could leave the substrate in when moving it however it will shift so I would remove the rocks and plants and just replant them I doubt your black and white substrate will not mix

I'm starting to have a steadily growing brown diatom algae problem. Right now it's pretty small still. But something is making it happen. My lights are on 5 hrs total 5 days a week, and then 6 hours/day on the weekend. Is this too long for total light time per day? My lights are very close to the tank as well.
Any ideas? Should I raising the lights up some??

So the sick Cory loxozonus kicked the bucket :( I had put him in a 5g hospital tank a few days ago. I could not find methylene blue in any stores! My gf called like 10 places! Where can I get that stuff? I'm guessing online only? One of my LFS guys told me that they can't sell it in the store because it has an active drug... I remember using it in organic Chem as a redox indicator.
Anyways yesterday I got my water tested at my LFS the results are as follows:

pH: 7.6-7.8
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm

What are good levels for plant growth? The guy at the LFS suggested that I don't do a water change for like 2 weeks!!!

I know cories like the water a little more acidic so I added a piece of Malaysian drift wood I purchased over the summer.

Also any good tips on getting rid of black beard algae?? I keep trying to stay ahead of it by trimming especially hairy plant pieces but it seems to be persistent. I've heard hydrogen peroxide spot treatment? What do you guys think??

I'm starting to have a steadily growing brown diatom algae problem. Right now it's pretty small still. But something is making it happen. My lights are on 5 hrs total 5 days a week, and then 6 hours/day on the weekend. Is this too long for total light time per day? My lights are very close to the tank as well.
Any ideas? Should I raising the lights up some??

Diatoms come from silicates in the water not lighting. Give it time they will pass.

Caleb

You might be thinking of bromothymol blue or methyl orange for the redox indicator.

Yeah, silicates cause diatoms. If you are getting other kinds of algae, but your plants are growing fine, then raising the lights may help.

5 ppm sounds low for nitrates IMO but if you don't see any deficiencies then I wouldn't worry too much.

I hear there's a "1-2 punch" involving spot dosing and a blackout I believe. But yes H2O2 is supposed to work well.

You might be thinking of bromothymol blue or methyl orange for the redox indicator.

Yeah, silicates cause diatoms. If you are getting other kinds of algae, but your plants are growing fine, then raising the lights may help.

5 ppm sounds low for nitrates IMO but if you don't see any deficiencies then I wouldn't worry too much.

I hear there's a "1-2 punch" involving spot dosing and a blackout I believe. But yes H2O2 is supposed to work well.

Yeah I think you're right about the bromothymol blue! So I'm raising my lights 8 inches. And I guess I'll take it easy on water change for like 2-3 weeks or so? Might do 10% every 4 days to keep the sand clean for the cories (30% was what I was doing previously).

Ima do some research on potassium

Can someone help me identify this fish? I think it might be a goby the tank was labeled "aphyosemion"
Which I know are killifish but it doesnt look like any I can find on the web

View attachment 278607

Did you ever figure out what this is? Could be a juvenile as both sexes have the stripes and they are much more appearance during stress but I'm not positive. Lots of Aphyosemion species out there and new being discovered all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Did you ever figure out what this is? Could be a juvenile as both sexes have the stripes and they are much more appearance during stress but I'm not positive. Lots of Aphyosemion species out there and new being discovered all the time.

Actually Brenna I gave that fish away! He ate like 10 of my two month old guppy fry as soon as I added them to the tank!!! He was so fat he looked like a guppy that was super pregnant!

I posted a thread to help me identify it, and the closest thing I could identify it to was a mogurnda species (gudgeon) I researched it pretty extensively... Anyways I stopped back two days later and he was gone! Someone had scooped him up and taken him home!

Wow. Lil eating machine! Definitely not a killifish then. Hopefully the next person to have him doesn't have guppies!

Yeah seriously! But I'm moving in about a week, and I hope to set up a 40 breeder with dividers for all my guppy breeding needs :p I also plan on getting an angel and 3-4 GBR from the rambandit once I've settled in!

So I am moving tomorrow. In the past two weeks I've lost 1 Cory loxozonus and 1 Cory melanistius. I'm thinking I might have worms/nematodes in the tank since I've seen a stringy poop or two from the guppys. One male is thin and having a slow recovery from a fish attack. I'm thinking of buying medicated fish flakes -levimasole (i think that's how you spell it). I would prefer to not strip the entire tank down and sterilize everything. But if needed, I would. What do you guys think I should do?

Also, -100 root tabs in the mail!!! I've noticed my plants haven't been growing as fast as I had hoped, especially the ludwigia repens and water wisteria... Pretty stagnant honestly. They should arrive this week though!

I've been thinking of running a large hospital tank to treat all the fish for worms nematodes at once... Could the worms/ nematodes die off over a month in the 46g with no host?!?

Alright guys, so move #2 complete. 46g dirted bowfront is re setup, had to to take out all the major stones, but it's assembled pretty close to how I had it originally. Root tabs are added! And I planted some Argentinian swords from petco.
Picked up 2 Amano shrimp from my LFS too(named them Takashi and Amano)!!!
Lol when the tank was only 1/4 refilled I dumped a whole bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide in to kill the bba... Seems to have done the trick ?
Filter is starting a brand new cycle ?

I want to buy more fish, but I am
hesitant because I don't want to buy them and have them get sick.

I'm not sure what it is, but a juvenile guppy died a few days ago.

So that's three deaths in like 2 months

Also since I set it up three days ago I've done 3- 20% WCs and today a 30% WC.

Just got a 55g for 25$ off craigslist.. Guppy breeding things here I come!

Back
Top Bottom