BANGAR's 46g bowfront build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So guys and gals, I am kind of stumped as to why my fish are kicking the bucket. My guppies were all completely healthy until I picked up 2 guppies, 8 cories, and that one gudgeon (who I brought to my LFS).

The fish all appear to be relatively healthy, eating relatively well. I don't find any parasites on the surface of the fish. I've seen one white stringy poo and one long brown thread like poo. One of the guppies though has not had any fin regrowth in a long time (3+weeks); he was looking thin but he's packed some weight back on, but still no fin repair (he's in a 2.5g alone)

I'm not sure what they have, or if they actually have anything. I'm lost on what to treat them with or how to treat them if they are in fact sick. Right now I just plan on watching the fish to look for illness, is there anything else I can do to identify this illness? I'm stumped!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So guys and gals, I am kind of stumped as to why my fish are kicking the bucket. My guppies were all completely healthy until I picked up 2 guppies, 8 cories, and that one gudgeon (who I brought to my LFS).

The fish all appear to be relatively healthy, eating relatively well. I don't find any parasites on the surface of the fish. I've seen one white stringy poo and one long brown thread like poo. One of the guppies though has not had any fin regrowth in a long time (3+weeks); he was looking thin but he's packed some weight back on, but still no fin repair (he's in a 2.5g alone)

I'm not sure what they have, or if they actually have anything. I'm lost on what to treat them with or how to treat them if they are in fact sick. Right now I just plan on watching the fish to look for illness, is there anything else I can do to identify this illness? I'm stumped!

You may have overloaded your bio-filter..

sit in silence...

Yeah my tank has definitely been cycling, I have been doing water changes 20-30% every 2-3 days to help reduce stress

So it's been a while, but I have learned a lot over the last few weeks. But 3 of my cory melanistius weren't lookin so hot (clamped fins, pale, pinkish gills), so I put them in a clear plastic storage tub with 50% tank water, and 50% clean water and 3cc methylene blue. I suspected nitrite poisoning, due to the age of the tank,(18 days after moving tank to new apartment).
After about 36 hours I did a water change with API stress coat conditioner. day and a half later, another WC, 1 cory dead. day and a half later, second cory dead. somethings isnt adding up. i look up a few threads about corys dieing after water changes and find that its possibly my tap water containing ammonia, and that prime is the best water conditioner, and can remove ammonia from the water column. So the day before yesterday I put the 1 remaining cory M back in the tank, and let it sit. today I went and bought the api master test kit, and the big bottle of prime!

tank test results:
pH 7.6
pH high range 7.8
ammonia .25
nitrite 0
nitrate 0-5 ppm

tap results
pH 7.6
pH high range 7.8
ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

So it looks like my tap and tank has ammonia in it... good thing I've got the prime! Only thing that could've died is a small amano shrimp I haven't seen in a week or so. Or maybe I have, but I haven't seen both of them at the same time for a while.
IS my tank Cycled since there are no nitrites? whats with this ammonia?

The ammonia could be from over feeding. Decomposing food and fish waste with cause ammonia which the good bacteria will turn into nitrites and then to nitrates.
Your ammonia doesn't seem too high at .25 to cause this I wouldn't think.
I'm not sure your completely cycled with the nitrates being only 5.
Sounds as though it is started but I don't think your finished cycling yet.

ugh guys, I lost that 3rd cory! I feel so bad that my inexperience is killing these awesome little guys! I think i figured out what might have been what did these guys in. one night after work, i did a 10% water changes, i noticed the water was especially gassy looking. I had already drained 10g from the tank, and put 5g of this gassy water back in the tank. the second bucket I let sit over night, to let the gas out. the next day, I found out there was a water main break, like two blocks away :( god I wish had just posted this as soon as I realized my mistake! so, the 3 smallest cories have died. The 3 I have remaining still look pretty good. Ugh, I can't even tell if my tank has a disease or not. I have SO much to learn!

So, I brought 3 of my adult male guppies to my LFS to trade in for 1 female guppy. The owner gave me 4 females! And one is absolutely enormous, biggest guppy I have seen! I thought for sure they would make great breeding stock for my new 55g strain breeding set up. I've had them for a few days I keep seeing stringy white poo from them though :(. thank goodness for QT tank though!

I am actually planning to remove all the guppies from this tank once I get the 55 set up in my basement, and plan to add some black phantom tetras! how would they do with angels and rams? I've read they don't school very much, and prefer to establish their own mini territories in the tank. what is a good number to have for my size tank? I plan on getting between 6-10

Also, since my tiger lotus has wilted back, growth has almost stopped! There are two small leaves on the entire plant, ugh. Or maybe it's just growing really really really slow. Anybody know why this might be happening?

Also my ludwigia repens that I got is about 50/50 on its rooting, some rot, and some root.
Any and all info is appreciated

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449681575.157349.jpg
Well, took the canopy off for the first time in a few weeks, look what I found!!

It's a poop load of algae!!!!

I knew my plants weren't doing so hot, now I know why. The algae was so thick the light couldn't reach em!!! Gosh I'm such a n00b ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449726919.754866.jpg

The tank today, after a good cleaning! Added three more root tabs before work. Got home and tested the water.

pH is 7.8ish
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0.
Also I removed the activated carbon from my canister and put in a sponge filter that fits a sun sun

So guys, I'm contemplating using CO2 on my tank. But I have few questions!
I understand DIY is more affordable, but less consistent. But I'm open to both options at this point in time.

1. Is my tank too big for a DIY setup?

2. If I stop using CO2 after say a few weeks on the tank, will I experience plant growth die off?

3. I heard when using CO2 you don't need to use an airstone???

I know it can be dangerous to fish, and that it will lower my pH as well.

1. Is my tank too big for a DIY setup?
---probably. It's not impossible but in the long run on any tank 40 gallons and up DIY will be more difficult and expensive than pressurized.---

2. If I stop using CO2 after say a few weeks on the tank, will I experience plant growth die off?
---not really, just slowed growth and algae return/growth---

3. I heard when using CO2 you don't need to use an airstone???
---you never really need to use an air stone. It's only there to get more oxygen into the water. With co2 you shouldn't go out of your way to get surface movement because that will release some of the dissolved co2 into the air, essentially wasting it. I think you'll be fine without one, most people are.---

I know it can be dangerous to fish, and that it will lower my pH as well.
---if your water is soft it tends to lower pH more than if it's hard. You'll have to slowly weak your fish onto it over the course of a week I'd say.---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. It is often mentioned that 20 gallons is the upper end of effective use of a DIY CO2 setup. But that may be more of a blanket statement. Factors such as lighting, depth, and type of plants need to be factored into the equation. Lower light typically means less demand. I think all plants can benefit from it.
As an alternative, products containing Glutaraldehyde such as Metricide 14, Seachem Excel, and API CO2 Booster can be used as a source of carbon for the plants.
2. They won't necessarily die after discontinuing CO2 dosing. They just may slow down, growth wise.
3. Yes, the air stone would be counter productive. Not sure you even need it in the first place. The popping bubbles is splattering the cover with moisture and making it easy for algae to take hold.
Generally the amount of CO2 generated from a typically DIY setup is not enough to cause problem.

So I took some pics! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451371152.562222.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451371173.502343.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451371202.791792.jpg

I purchased 4 black phantoms for the tank, and I plan on getting some more when my LFS gets them in... Actually... They should have came in today!

I am also on the fence between doing hi tech tank things aka CO2 w/ drop checker, and solonoid etc etc. but I've been waiting for my IAL to come in the mail because my pH has been high. 8.0 today. I think it might have been inhibiting plant growth.

They arrived after I tested the pH! One is in the tank! I'm going to recheck the pH tomorrow to see how low it has dropped, the tank has already changed color from the tannins. We will see :)

I've been having a diatom problem as well. Been thinking about buying some otocats but idk what would happen if I did do CO2 and there food source went away :/. So we will see on that too!

Any ideas about the otocats W/ co2? and plant growth with a lower pH?

Otos should be fine in a CO2 injected tank. The ph has been as low as 6.5 in my planted tank. Does not appear to affect plant growth.

pH is still reading 8.0 for both high and low. Adding a leaf to the filter

Back
Top Bottom