Banjo Catfish active during the day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drakmanka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just got a Banjo Catfish the other day. After all the research I've done on them, I had thoroughly expected to never see him except perhaps when he decides to nap in the corner of the tank or something, or when I do water changes.
He's surprised me by being extremely active, swimming freely through the tank, squeezing along the walls, interacting with my other fish, burying himself occasionally but then darting off, and trying to find food. All in the middle of the day.
I'm not complaining by any means, as he's incredibly adorable(the reason I got a Banjo in the first place) and watching him swim around is enthralling, but I'm curious as to the possible reasons why he's being so active. They had to dig him up at the fish shop before they could net him, and he just sat on the bottom of the tank until the clerk helping me reached into the tank and scooped him up. He then proceeded to just sit calmly in the bag the whole ride home in my car, even when I had to slam on the brakes at one point. And yet, now, he's very active.

I've found it can depend on the light intensity how much fish like this that normally hide will come out.

If your light is quite dim it could explain why he's so active.

Caleb

Hm, that may explain a few things. I have a pretty bight light, but it doesn't illuminate the edges of the tank, which is where he likes to hang out for the most part.
I've noticed he also seems to have a cult following among the cory catfish. Whenever they find him, they all cluster around him and that's when he buries himself.

Hm, that may explain a few things. I have a pretty bight light, but it doesn't illuminate the edges of the tank, which is where he likes to hang out for the most part.
I've noticed he also seems to have a cult following among the cory catfish. Whenever they find him, they all cluster around him and that's when he buries himself.

That's actually not that surprising the corys follow him around. I've noticed Cory catfish like to hang around other catfish. I used to have Ottocinclus catfish and my corys would follow them around, even occasionally on the sides of the tank

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom