Barbs and Cory's do they mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gog77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a real problem over the week keeping these two species together. At first I thought it was the Clown Loaches doing the damage but studied for about 1 hr today and noticed the Barbs harassing the Cory's. I bought 5 Cory's about 4 weeks ago and all seemed fine. 2 weeks after that I bought 6 very small green barbs.

Now about 2 weeks after they have been put into the tank the Cory's are hiding in hard to get spots. Behind the filter, wedged in between air hoses etc. I have lost one of them yesterday he was eaten probably finished off by the loaches, another is missing a lot of it's top fin and back and another is missing part of his back fin. I have isolated the two in a Breeding net for now because any more damage and they won't be able to swim when they can't swim the bigger fish pounce.

Any advice guys? I haven't really read that there is much problems keeping the two together. All I have been told is stay away from Angels when you have Barbs. Is there any way I can try and stop this without getting rid of either of the species? Or will I have to compromise one of them?

I have six tiger barbs and six green corys in a 29 gal. The barbs are too busy being mean to one another to pay the corys any attention. I have a complex piece of driftwood and a few dense clumps of plants - lots of places for the corys to hide if need be.

How big is your tank? Do you have lots of places for the corys to hide?

My own experience with corys has been mixed. I lost two schools of 6 within days of purchase to bloat and finrot before finally getting the healthy group that I currently have. It's possible that your corys were sickly to begin with and that the stress of being harassed by the barbs pushed them over the edge. When fish are sick, dying, or dead, it's common for their tankmates to nibble.

QTOFFER said:
How big is your tank? Do you have lots of places for the corys to hide?

My own experience with corys has been mixed. I lost two schools of 6 within days of purchase to bloat and finrot before finally getting the healthy group that I currently have. It's possible that your corys were sickly to begin with and that the stress of being harassed by the barbs pushed them over the edge. When fish are sick, dying, or dead, it's common for their tankmates to nibble.

55G

There are plenty of places to hide but I worked on the tank today and set up a large narrow cave for them to hide under. The Barbs have not gone in there at all, neither have the Cory's :?

How does that saying go.. the best laid plans.....

I always had to give reaquasaping quite a bit of time to get hardly any effect, I wouldn't sweat it right away.

What you'll want is pleny of cover, false or real plants, driftwood, rocks and the like. It actually takes quite a bit to cover the bottom of a 55G.

Back
Top Bottom