Barefoot/Minimalist running, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I quit smoking cigarettes last February at age 31, and I decided I wanted to try running just to see if I could do it... because I never could before. I wanted to get in better shape. My first goal was just to run a mile. It took some time. I built up my distance from there. Eventually I started to improve.

I recently started with a pair of Merrell Contour Glove shoes after running in various normal shoes for about 14 months. I had gotten up to about an hour of outdoor road running (ended up being about 5.5 miles on some quite hilly terrain) in traditional shoes, and then I ran 20 minutes in the Merrells on a flat indoor track and shredded my calf muscles- it was a week and a half before I could run at all. The cool thing was, even though I could barely walk because of my calf muscles, my knees had never felt better. I also went through a foot injury (pulled something, apparently), that took another 2 weeks to get over. Gah- I never expected a simple change of shoes to complicate things so much, but one thing I have learned is that the minimalist shoes COMPLETELY change your form, pretty much automatically. A few weeks ago I found a pair of Merrell Lithe Gloves for half price and I bought them. The all-leather Contour Gloves are going to be great for later in the year, but they just don't breathe enough for Georgia summer.

Fast forward a few weeks, and although I am still not back to where I was before, I am doing a lot better. I did a 41 minute run this afternoon, outdoors up and down our street, which is one continuous hill (about .45 mile for the down and back)... I ran probably 3.8 miles. Slow time, and I'm much faster on flat terrain, but hey it's a start.

So, are any of you all "minimalist" runners? I'm still in the process of converting but I think it's going to be a good decision given the awesome state of my knees. I'd love to hear your tips and shoe recommendations, etc. Or, do you run at all? Do you have your own fitness THING that you do?

In case anyone is wondering, I have managed to drop 30 pounds since that day I found myself wheezing and panting after a quarter mile run, and didn't give up. I ran my first 5K in April in 29:48. Slow time, but pretty dang good for an ex-smoker.

severum mama said:
I quit smoking cigarettes last February at age 31, and I decided I wanted to try running just to see if I could do it... because I never could before. I wanted to get in better shape. My first goal was just to run a mile. It took some time. I built up my distance from there. Eventually I started to improve.

I recently started with a pair of Merrell Contour Glove shoes after running in various normal shoes for about 14 months. I had gotten up to about an hour of outdoor road running (ended up being about 5.5 miles on some quite hilly terrain) in traditional shoes, and then I ran 20 minutes in the Merrells on a flat indoor track and shredded my calf muscles- it was a week and a half before I could run at all. The cool thing was, even though I could barely walk because of my calf muscles, my knees had never felt better. I also went through a foot injury (pulled something, apparently), that took another 2 weeks to get over. Gah- I never expected a simple change of shoes to complicate things so much, but one thing I have learned is that the minimalist shoes COMPLETELY change your form, pretty much automatically. A few weeks ago I found a pair of Merrell Lithe Gloves for half price and I bought them. The all-leather Contour Gloves are going to be great for later in the year, but they just don't breathe enough for Georgia summer.

Fast forward a few weeks, and although I am still not back to where I was before, I am doing a lot better. I did a 41 minute run this afternoon, outdoors up and down our street, which is one continuous hill (about .45 mile for the down and back)... I ran probably 3.8 miles. Slow time, and I'm much faster on flat terrain, but hey it's a start.

So, are any of you all "minimalist" runners? I'm still in the process of converting but I think it's going to be a good decision given the awesome state of my knees. I'd love to hear your tips and shoe recommendations, etc. Or, do you run at all? Do you have your own fitness THING that you do?

In case anyone is wondering, I have managed to drop 30 pounds since that day I found myself wheezing and panting after a quarter mile run, and didn't give up. I ran my first 5K in April in 29:48. Slow time, but pretty dang good for an ex-smoker.

Im not a runner but, Whoo hoo! Good for you for stopping smoking, its hard to do (so I hear-i don't smoke lol)

Wow good for you! I'm in high school and currently on our cross country team, so I guess you could say running is my life right now (besides fish lol). My coach would flip if I tried to go minimalist but our racing shoes are nothing more than 2 pieces of fabric sewn together and metal spikes, basically minimalist right lol. I've always thought about taking the full plunge but maybe once I go to college I will ;). Our race is a 5k too.

Wow good for you! I'm in high school and currently on our cross country team, so I guess you could say running is my life right now (besides fish lol). My coach would flip if I tried to go minimalist but our racing shoes are nothing more than 2 pieces of fabric sewn together and metal spikes, basically minimalist right lol. I've always thought about taking the full plunge but maybe once I go to college I will ;). Our race is a 5k too.

Would you care to elaborate? Why does your coach think it is a bad idea? I'm not snarky, just really curious what his/her reasoning might be. I've done a bit of research and it seems to be kind of a hot issue. I have found the switch to be an overall positive thing so far, BUT I did injure myself twice, so I think there is a lot to be said for caution in switching methods. Sad thing is, I thought I WAS being cautious the day I shredded my calf muscles- 20 minutes in a new shoe on a flat indoor track seemed EASY compared to an hour of road running on a bunch of hills. Turns out no. lol

severum mama said:

I heard those barefoot shoes are designed to give your feet a workout, so it sounds like they did what they were supposed to be doing.

I need to start running or doing something. I've dropped 25lbs this year just changing how I eat. Now I need to add in the physical part of it.

Great job!!!! That is a huge victory. :)

I went from a size 14 to a 6 in about a year with running/stationary bike/weight lifting workouts and using a calorie tracker. The calorie tracker kept me honest and it really helped. Plus, you get to earn back calories from tracking exercise, so there is an immediate reward that made it a little easier for someone like me who has never done ANYTHING remotely athletic before last year. I don't often track anymore, but it was a huge deal in helping me to get started. I'm almost at the point of maintenance now so it's less of a big deal, although I would not be disappointed to lose 5 more lbs. Changing how I eat is most definitely the hard part. I have the stamina in my workouts now to burn off some really horrible food choices (lol) and just stay static. Good on you for changing your diet! I am definitely one to go through phases of good eating and horrible eating. :p

Well i dont do long distance running like cross country people do... Or even like you do severum, but ido more sprints and footwork things. For tennis you need to be quick and speedy, so i will do shuttle runs, sprints, footwork drills, jump rope, etc. Sometimes i run a mile for time... But not usually. Lol

severum mama said:
Great job!!!! That is a huge victory. :)

I went from a size 14 to a 6 in about a year with running/stationary bike/weight lifting workouts and using a calorie tracker. The calorie tracker kept me honest and it really helped. Plus, you get to earn back calories from tracking exercise, so there is an immediate reward that made it a little easier for someone like me who has never done ANYTHING remotely athletic before last year. I don't often track anymore, but it was a huge deal in helping me to get started. I'm almost at the point of maintenance now so it's less of a big deal, although I would not be disappointed to lose 5 more lbs. Changing how I eat is most definitely the hard part. I have the stamina in my workouts now to burn off some really horrible food choices (lol) and just stay static. Good on you for changing your diet! I am definitely one to go through phases of good eating and horrible eating. :p

I used the my fitness pal app. It sure does keep you honest. I've got to the point now where I just know the right portion sizes. I still eat hamburgers. Just not 2. I can still eat pizza, but no more than 2 slices. Once your stomach shrinks after the first 2 weeks of eating smaller portions you don't even feel hungry all the time and if you do eat more than you should you feel it in the form of a stomach ache and being bloated. Plus I cut out mashed potatoes and rice and ate more broccoli. That really helped alot. But I seem to have stalled so I have to start doing some exercising. I have the NIKE fitness app. It's got some killer workouts and I don't even need a gym. I just loathe being sore the next day... Maybe I've just been inspired to start being more active. :)

severum mama said:
Would you care to elaborate? Why does your coach think it is a bad idea? I'm not snarky, just really curious what his/her reasoning might be. I've done a bit of research and it seems to be kind of a hot issue. I have found the switch to be an overall positive thing so far, BUT I did injure myself twice, so I think there is a lot to be said for caution in switching methods. Sad thing is, I thought I WAS being cautious the day I shredded my calf muscles- 20 minutes in a new shoe on a flat indoor track seemed EASY compared to an hour of road running on a bunch of hills. Turns out no. lol

Well since we run upwards of 50 miles a week the chance for injury is greater and more severe. The reason we use traditional running shoes is because that's what our feet have adapted to. If we wanted to go minimalist we would only be allowed to do one run a week in them until we built up our strength enough. Then we could try to do more. Minimalist running returns your foot to its natural arch, be it good or bad. This is why traditional shoes can help runners who otherwise couldn't run. But some people swear by minimalist shoes or no shoes at all! (dude won an Olympic marathon without any!). Everyone has a different form and running style. this is why there are so many shoe choices. If minimalist running is your thing, go ahead and go for it. It's better than not doing anything. But if your unsure of what kind of shoe you need you can always go into a specialized running shoe store and find out.

I hope I answered your question in there somewhere.

This is right up my alley!! First off I just wanna congratulate you on your weight loss and 5k time, and quitting smoking.. And new found healthy life!! My father suffered a heart attack at 47 6 years ago (he luckily survived) and ever since then my life style has been completely different. Nutrition and exercise has become a major part of my life, and now consider myself an avid runner, I absolutely NEED / LOVE it!

I'm now just getting back to running after a year long injury (IT Band) took me out. Years ago I started off in regular running shoes, as I got faster I wanted lighter so I switched to minimalist two years ago. After That, regular shoes felt like cinder blocks! But, I did feel some pain in my lower calf and Achilles tendon when doing long mileage. Plus, I got injured about a year after switching, but I blame that on increasing mileage too much too soon rather than the shoes.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "toe glove" barefoot shoes, I know many people swear by them. I dont have any medical evidence to back up my claim, just pure preference of not liking the fit for me. I also do a lot of trail running and would be scared to run in something with that little protection. I've run barefoot before and stubbed my toes...ouch!!! However, I do love my minimalist sneakers compared to my regular ones, I switch them back and forth usually.

My opinion is if you like the feel of the gloves and those will make you run, stick with them. But, ease your way back into them with very little mileage. You'll use muscles not regularly used so you have to be careful. You can also go to any good running store and they can fit you for a pair of sneakers that are best for your running style. Check out some minimalist sneakers that aren't the barefoot type, those are my favorite!

Well since we run upwards of 50 miles a week the chance for injury is greater and more severe. The reason we use traditional running shoes is because that's what our feet have adapted to. If we wanted to go minimalist we would only be allowed to do one run a week in them until we built up our strength enough. Then we could try to do more. Minimalist running returns your foot to its natural arch, be it good or bad. This is why traditional shoes can help runners who otherwise couldn't run. But some people swear by minimalist shoes or no shoes at all! (dude won an Olympic marathon without any!). Everyone has a different form and running style. this is why there are so many shoe choices. If minimalist running is your thing, go ahead and go for it. It's better than not doing anything. But if your unsure of what kind of shoe you need you can always go into a specialized running shoe store and find out.

I hope I answered your question in there somewhere.

50 miles a week is nuts. LOL. Even before I switched I was only up to 20-25 miles a week. Thanks for the explanation.

This is right up my alley!! First off I just wanna congratulate you on your weight loss and 5k time, and quitting smoking.. And new found healthy life!! My father suffered a heart attack at 47 6 years ago (he luckily survived) and ever since then my life style has been completely different. Nutrition and exercise has become a major part of my life, and now consider myself an avid runner, I absolutely NEED / LOVE it!

I'm now just getting back to running after a year long injury (IT Band) took me out. Years ago I started off in regular running shoes, as I got faster I wanted lighter so I switched to minimalist two years ago. After That, regular shoes felt like cinder blocks! But, I did feel some pain in my lower calf and Achilles tendon when doing long mileage. Plus, I got injured about a year after switching, but I blame that on increasing mileage too much too soon rather than the shoes.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "toe glove" barefoot shoes, I know many people swear by them. I dont have any medical evidence to back up my claim, just pure preference of not liking the fit for me. I also do a lot of trail running and would be scared to run in something with that little protection. I've run barefoot before and stubbed my toes...ouch!!! However, I do love my minimalist sneakers compared to my regular ones, I switch them back and forth usually.

My opinion is if you like the feel of the gloves and those will make you run, stick with them. But, ease your way back into them with very little mileage. You'll use muscles not regularly used so you have to be careful. You can also go to any good running store and they can fit you for a pair of sneakers that are best for your running style. Check out some minimalist sneakers that aren't the barefoot type, those are my favorite!

I don't have the toe style shoes either. Both pairs of my Merrells look like regular shoes, just very flat. I'm not sure how I would like the Five Fingers shoes and I don't see myself paying $70-100 just to find out. I've got these in different colors:
Merrell Barefoot Contour Glove Black - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
Merrell Barefoot Lithe Glove Castle Rock - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
and I paid a whole lot less than that for both.

I found out the hard way that you need to ease back into them and I had to take nearly a month off of running because of it. I'm making progress though, and my knees feel great- I do believe that minimalist is easier on my knees. Not that I have ever had knee problems, but I definitely don't want to.

I've tried trail running a few times in my old shoes. The only real trail that I know of that's convenient for me to get to is Sawnee Mountain, and it's about 3.5 miles. I finished it, but running on a small mountain is REALLY hard compared to any road running, and I was really surprised at my slow time! I'm planning to try trail running again, but I need to build more strength before I do.

severum mama said:
50 miles a week is nuts. LOL. Even before I switched I was only up to 20-25 miles a week. Thanks for the explanation.

I don't have the toe style shoes either. Both pairs of my Merrells look like regular shoes, just very flat. I'm not sure how I would like the Five Fingers shoes and I don't see myself paying $70-100 just to find out. I've got these in different colors:
Merrell Barefoot Contour Glove Black - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
Merrell Barefoot Lithe Glove Castle Rock - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
and I paid a whole lot less than that for both.

I found out the hard way that you need to ease back into them and I had to take nearly a month off of running because of it. I'm making progress though, and my knees feel great- I do believe that minimalist is easier on my knees. Not that I have ever had knee problems, but I definitely don't want to.

I've tried trail running a few times in my old shoes. The only real trail that I know of that's convenient for me to get to is Sawnee Mountain, and it's about 3.5 miles. I finished it, but running on a small mountain is REALLY hard compared to any road running, and I was really surprised at my slow time! I'm planning to try trail running again, but I need to build more strength before I do.

Ohhh sorry i assumed when you said gloves those were the types you were referring to, I didn't realize that was the name of the actual sneaker haha!! I run in Saucony Kinvara 2, and definitely feel the difference between those and my regular Nikes.

The purpose of the minimalist shoe is to have the runner land more on the balls of his/her feet rather than heel striking. They shorten the heel distance in the sneaker so you don't land on it as often, of course changing your running form. The problem that comes with this is most of us that aren't running in the Olympics, also don't train our legs to support this type of running. It will take a lot of stress off your knees, while relying much more on your calf and Achilles, possibly explaining the feeling of your calves burning. Personally, I've run 20 miles in a minimalist shoe, and I really wouldn't recommend it, I think anything over 10 miles or so should really require a bit more of a padded sneaker... Totally my opinion. But yes, definitely do yourself a favor and easeeee into the transition for your 2nd time around, running requires patience! Lol. If you find yourself in pain again from the minimalist, I would stick with a light regular sneaker. I feel running was meant to be something we can all do naturally by putting one foot in front of the other, no need to drastically alter that. I still heel strike somewhat with my minimalists on, it's my natural stride. Some people run on their toes... We're all different!

I love trail running! Definitely is a whole different monster than road running. It really takes a toll on your ankles, but at the same time it's a great strengthening tool. 3.5 miles on trail is plenty to start off with, you'll notice the more trail you do the easier road will get! So happy I found somebody on here that likes running! :)

Yep, I'm aware of the purpose, and even if I had gone into it without knowing I would have figured it out really fast! LOL. I did do some research and talked to a couple people about it before I decided to give it a try. As I mentioned it was VERY hard on my calf muscles at first- like, I could barely walk for several days after my first run in the new shoes. But I am building muscles in my legs now that I never even knew I had, and that's pretty cool. I'm actually starting to be able to see a difference.

I don't ever see myself going for a 20 mile run but I guess stranger things have happened. I get bored after a while, so about an hour is probably going to be my limit. My next goal is to complete a 10K. It's flipping hot here and I'm not ready for that kind of distance yet anyway, so I'm hoping maybe I can keep building my distance back up for now, and look for a 10K in the mid-late fall.

Do you do any organized races? Sounds like you could pretty easily complete a half marathon at this point.

severum mama said:
Yep, I'm aware of the purpose, and even if I had gone into it without knowing I would have figured it out really fast! LOL. I did do some research and talked to a couple people about it before I decided to give it a try. As I mentioned it was VERY hard on my calf muscles at first- like, I could barely walk for several days after my first run in the new shoes. But I am building muscles in my legs now that I never even knew I had, and that's pretty cool. I'm actually starting to be able to see a difference.

I don't ever see myself going for a 20 mile run but I guess stranger things have happened. I get bored after a while, so about an hour is probably going to be my limit. My next goal is to complete a 10K. It's flipping hot here and I'm not ready for that kind of distance yet anyway, so I'm hoping maybe I can keep building my distance back up for now, and look for a 10K in the mid-late fall.

Do you do any organized races? Sounds like you could pretty easily complete a half marathon at this point.

LOL yes it doesn't take long before you realize the difference. Seeing results is the best part of it all !! That's what always makes me wanna run.

10ks are awesome, it's a really good challenge, yet not insanely difficult. I believe after I did my first 10k I said, I can do a half marathon LOL. I've done 3 of those so far, one in Philadelphia, NYC and Rhode Island... I got crazy and signed up for the full marathon after Rhode Island, a month later I got hurt and couldn't run it :(. Dr said over use ...All I did was run, and the better i got the more I did it. Hmmm, I was pretty much addicted! Lol. This time I'm taking my time, less mileage, more stretching, and more strength training. I'm back up to almost 5 miles now! Being hurt is no fun so that's why I say just take your time and slowlyyy increase the mileage. The heat doesn't help either I feel your pain with that! My favorite time to run is in the fall so if you can find a 10k around you in the fall I say do it! (just be careful you might catch the "half marathon bug" and then you're in trouble!)

LOL yes it doesn't take long before you realize the difference. Seeing results is the best part of it all !! That's what always makes me wanna run.

10ks are awesome, it's a really good challenge, yet not insanely difficult. I believe after I did my first 10k I said, I can do a half marathon LOL. I've done 3 of those so far, one in Philadelphia, NYC and Rhode Island... I got crazy and signed up for the full marathon after Rhode Island, a month later I got hurt and couldn't run it :(. Dr said over use ...All I did was run, and the better i got the more I did it. Hmmm, I was pretty much addicted! Lol. This time I'm taking my time, less mileage, more stretching, and more strength training. I'm back up to almost 5 miles now! Being hurt is no fun so that's why I say just take your time and slowlyyy increase the mileage. The heat doesn't help either I feel your pain with that! My favorite time to run is in the fall so if you can find a 10k around you in the fall I say do it! (just be careful you might catch the "half marathon bug" and then you're in trouble!)

Seeing the difference is great, and it is definitely an awesome motivator to keep pushing for new goals. But really, I think the reason I run now is because for the first time in my life, I CAN. I was never the chunky kid, but I was never in shape at all, and I was one of the ones that couldn't run the mile in gym class. And obviously in adulthood I couldn't run before I kicked the cigs.

3 half marathons is impressive! I'll be sure to check out some 10K's around here for the fall. I am not yet back up to 5 miles, more like about 4 tops. But I'm hoping to be able to do it in a couple months. We'll see. :)

Not great. I've got some kind of injury in my foot (a FB friend that's experienced in this sort of thing thinks tendonitis) that's going to need a few weeks off. This is week one. LOL. But, it's not so bad. I've been riding my CL bike (an older Trek 800) instead of running. I'm having a great time with it so I can't really complain. :)

severum mama said:
I'm having a great time with it so I can't really complain. :)

Well that is the most important part! Goodluck and try to stay healthy. This really does sound like a challenge!

severum mama said:
Not great. I've got some kind of injury in my foot (a FB friend that's experienced in this sort of thing thinks tendonitis) that's going to need a few weeks off. This is week one. LOL. But, it's not so bad. I've been riding my CL bike (an older Trek 800) instead of running. I'm having a great time with it so I can't really complain. :)

I used to go to a spinning class and it was fun. Crazy hard workout though!

Back
Top Bottom