Barley straw for algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone go as far as putting barley straw in their filtration to balance out their tank and help with algae? I have read people doing this in ponds and it just seemed like an option. Any thoughts on it in a tank?

I've never been too impressed with it's ability to fight algae in ponds so honestly I wouldn't bother with it in a tank. But hey that's just me.

How about hydrogen peroxide? I have no fish in the tank... Only plants. I have some black algae that WON'T die and the only way to get it off the plants is to cut the plants as it's stuck to them VERY well.

Doing H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide 3%) spot treatments is the best. Since you have no fish first turn off your filters, then you can pull up 5ml of H2O2 for every 10g in a syringe, put syringe right up to the algae and slowly squirt. Leave filters off 20 minutes. Since you have no fish you could do 2 treatments a day if you have a lot to treat. Usually within 24 hours you will see the algae which I am assuming is BBA start turning white, pink, or red which means it's dying.

Back
Top Bottom