BBA problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alefaz14

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had a recent BBA outbreak and it is growing over the filter intake slots in the back wall of my aquarium. Any advice on how to permanently get rid of it?

Only way to rid of it for good is to find the cause and fix it. Could be a number of things but one thing for sure it has to do with the balance of light, nutrients, and c02

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have had a recent BBA outbreak and it is growing over the filter intake slots in the back wall of my aquarium. Any advice on how to permanently get rid of it?

From your profile page, I'm guessing you don't have any live plants? Make sure your lights are on for 5-6 hours max per day and manually remove all possible BBA together with a water change will help you eradicate BBA faster. If possible, try black-out for 3-4 days.

Just can't get past the water level on that tank in the video:hide:
FWIW I added 2 SAE's and they eradicated it within 2 weeks. Granted it is best to eliminate the cause, but once you do it's still difficult to get rid of the established BBA.

From your profile page, I'm guessing you don't have any live plants? Make sure your lights are on for 5-6 hours max per day and manually remove all possible BBA together with a water change will help you eradicate BBA faster. If possible, try black-out for 3-4 days.

I have live plants.

May be multiple causes ... tough to get rid of

I had a bad outbreak of it about a year ago only to find it was caused by multiple problems:

1) Aquarium Lights on too long. I now limit it to 6 hours a day.

2) High nitrates caused by insufficient water changes. Until I joined this forum, did not know to do changes weekly. Went from 25% monthly to 20% weekly.

3) House faces east and direct sunlight was coming in over the "window" above the front door that has no curtain into the side of the aquarium. Solution: Put the same backing on the east side of the aquarium that is on the back side.

4) High phosphates in tap water. Solution: use a mix of 40% tap, 30% RO, and 30% bottled spring water.

The existing stuff is extremely difficult to remove from anything. As for getting rid of it ...... I tried the peroxide rinse and hand scraping but ended up throwing away all my plastic plants, decorations, and filter ...... and starting over.

I had a bad outbreak of it about a year ago only to find it was caused by multiple problems:

1) Aquarium Lights on too long. I now limit it to 6 hours a day.

2) High nitrates caused by insufficient water changes. Until I joined this forum, did not know to do changes weekly. Went from 25% monthly to 20% weekly.

3) House faces east and direct sunlight was coming in over the "window" above the front door that has no curtain into the side of the aquarium. Solution: Put the same backing on the east side of the aquarium that is on the back side.

4) High phosphates in tap water. Solution: use a mix of 40% tap, 30% RO, and 30% bottled spring water.

The existing stuff is extremely difficult to remove from anything. As for getting rid of it ...... I tried the peroxide rinse and hand scraping but ended up throwing away all my plastic plants, decorations, and filter ...... and starting over.

Great info! There is also substantial evidence that the main culprit is directly related to fluctuating C02 levels. I too tried peroxide and scraping with no success. I was skeptical about getting the SAE's at first, but I'm glad I did. Not only did they devour the BBA, I really like having them in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom