BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol thats what happens when we keep trading plants back and fourth! Rotala is a good option, I still have the Ludwigia red that I am not sure where to put!

At this point I am going to keep with my same dosing schedule and see what happens with the star repens, They still have a great root structure so I am optimistic they will come back. Still not sure what caused it.

Star repens develop incredible root systems for the size of plant. Really do appreciate root tabs

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The biggest change I saw after adding root tabs was from my pogo actually, that plant was barely staying alive but now it grows like a weed.

The biggest change I saw after adding root tabs was from my pogo actually, that plant was barely staying alive but now it grows like a weed.

There's another plant with a huge root structure. I must remember to post a picture from the backside of my tank. The roots are incredible

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So while doing my PWC yesterday I noticed some discoloration on the star repens leaves. Some spots have the deep green like they should and other parts are more of a lime green. When this plant was fully healthy the entire leaf was healthy and deep green. What do you guys think?
img_3127448_0_a0c6051e9991c7d85bfad05fb891b0a5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3127448_1_dc03b093aa924217429312cc762ed388.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sad news: Seeing some star repens melt... The only thing I did different was dosing a little seachem iron and dosing 2ML of micros daily.

How many times does this make? Mine are going crazy after the 4th melt..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Discoloration is getting more splotchy and worse.... Any ideas? Believe it or not I have a feeling we are getting close to figuring this out...

Thanks for reminding me...I need to test the nitrate and phosphate in my tank. My crop of star repens is developing green freckles (GSA).

Phosphate would be interesting since ive had a good bit of GSA. The only issue is I keep it at 4ppm

So the star repens have started melting... Not going to even bother with a picture since everyone knows what it looks like. Only things i changed were added some flourish iron and did my micro dose daily.

So the star repens have started melting... Not going to even bother with a picture since everyone knows what it looks like. Only things i changed were added some flourish iron and did my micro dose daily.

That's too bad. What is it in the water that is causing this? Is it the iron? Why are you adding iron may I ask? To boost the reds? I would think the micro mix in the PPS-Pro would provide enough.
I can still send some star repens to give you a new stock to try out.

The melting is not the worst I have had and it seemed to slow down. I noticed other stems melting which is different. I was adding the iron to boost reds. I was for sure overdosing before, the dose I had was not an overdose but may have pushed me back over the threshold. I will not dose the seachem iron for awhile and see what happens...

B, are you loading the substrate with root tabs for the stars? I've noticed significant positive growth post addition of root tabs..

Once a month man..

With the aqua ferts root pellets I usually added them once a month but fell off the wagon and added them maybe once in the latter half of 2014. I did start my first round of osmocote+ tabs about 2 months ago. The EC substrate has quite a bit of detritus and idk if that helps or not.
The star repens stays green in the low light shrimp tank. Growth is very slow but there is no GSA, BBA, pin holes, or melt either.

Im 75% sure its gotta be the iron. It was interested to see some of the limno melt.

Back
Top Bottom