BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out of curiosity what do you run your bml on??

I notice some of your plants looking 'leggy' and dropping lower leaves. Is this fair to say?? You get a much better look at the tank than we do

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I run the BML at 75% for about 6.5 hours along the sat plus. What plants look leggy to you?

I would say I do see veins in the leaves of the Ludwigia red and A.Bonsai. Not sure if thats normal.

You can see differences in growth in some of the pogo erectus stems. A "history of growth" so to speak. It reflects changes in the tank (ferts, light).

Specifically the tallest pogo stem towards the front the leaves are normal at the tip but thin a 1/4 of the way down. This could be due to lack of micros when i wasnt adding them

Also the fact that the s.repens started melting within 2-3 days means we can pretty much eliminate the idea of a deficiency as it would not have presented that fast. My votes are still iron toxicity or something my old RO filters was not completely removing (salt).

Dundahdahdunn

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1422279002031.jpg
    1422279002031.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 69
Sweet! Ya beat the storm... In other news its time for an experiment! Details later....

So I had a revelation in the car this morning on the way to work. I have an empty 5 gallon hex with a florescent light that I could use for experiments/testing..... soo I guess i kinda have mts now?? Anyways I put some extra eco in 4 seperate solo cups. We have about 3 things that could be causing the star repens melt: plantex, iron, or some kind of salt from my well. Sooo one cup is my control, pure RO water and one stem of s.repens that has yet to melt. Another cup is RO water that will receive 1ML of plantex per day (massive overdose). The other has RO that will receive 1ML of iron per day (massive overdose). The last cup has pure well water with the tap with all sorts of chlorine and salt. For NPK each cup will receive one drop of each NPK solution I use. This should help point us in the right direction. Whoever melts first/fastest loses (but I really win). Heres some pics.
img_3145081_0_f8e4806b24b9aa24fe622a3ea4ebf03f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3145081_1_d9c56777db56a3fb1e6a7245bd388549.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Interesting, what about temp and flow? ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Room temp around 75 deg. No flow other than an occasional stir

Muhahahahahah (mad scientist laugh)
Looking forward to the results.
Do you have a TDS meter and refractometer for measuring the dissolved solids and salinity? Just curious.

No i wish i did! I want to try to throw less money at the problem and get smarter. Someone suggested this on TPT as well.

The worst part is i had to sacrifice the best 4 looking s.repens stems. Hopefully the control grows like crazy!

I don't think those pieces of equipment are too costly. Much can be learned from them.
Don't worry about the stars. Once I get things in order up here I can send out more (patch is going through a rebuild).

LOL the iron cup is yellow! If that won't show a toxicity i dunno what will...

LOL the iron cup is yellow! If that won't show a toxicity i dunno what will...

This wont necessarily prove anything. The repens in the iron cup may well melt due to this extremely high concentration but it might not be the cause in the tank as its not at this same high concentration.

I agree, ill probably does the iron and plantex every other day. Maybe move to a half of a ML. Going to throw the bml over them dimmed for about 1-2 hrs per day as well to try to create a similar environment.

Errrrr!!!! Wrong!!! Fun fact did the math and i dosed about 25 ppm of iron, i took some out and will dose iron/plantex at .5ML. Try again!

Back
Top Bottom