Beefheart supplement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also would the worms from my gas station be ok? I'm good friends with the owner and can see if he catches them himself or ships them in. Or would I be better off collecting them myself?

Worms are worms. I wouldn't have thought it matters where they are from as long as they are fresh and well kept. I am assuming the worms at the gas station are bait worms? If so, I would ask your friend to let you know when he gets a fresh batch as bait worms are not normally fed in storage, so may deteriorate in nutritional value the longer they are stored.

Worms are worms. I wouldn't have thought it matters where they are from as long as they are fresh and well kept. I am assuming the worms at the gas station are bait worms? If so, I would ask your friend to let you know when he gets a fresh batch as bait worms are not normally fed in storage, so may deteriorate in nutritional value the longer they are stored.

Good point here!!!! I might have to go purchase some food for them lol. Is it possible that since they are kept so cold they don't loss the nutrients? Almost like hibernating? I honestly have no idea though. It just kinda come to my head.. But I could also ask him when a new batch comes in.

Good point here!!!! I might have to go purchase some food for them lol. Is it possible that since they are kept so cold they don't loss the nutrients? Almost like hibernating? I honestly have no idea though. It just kinda come to my head.. But I could also ask him when a new batch comes in.

I would say that is perfectly feasible. If they aren't active, then they are not metabolising away their energy reserves :)

I have to disagree with the "worms are worms" suggestion. Although Hob's worms are bait worms and are most likely farmed for this purpose making them relatively safe to feed, I need to address that not all worms are safe to feed fish based on the locale from which them are dug from.

Earthworms subsist on dirt. There is a well known adage "you are what you eat". This applies here. For the same reasons humans chose to eat organic foods, the worms should be obtained from ground that has not been treated with pesticides, herbicides, insecticides and various other chemicals. Aside from organically-based products, most of these items that we dump on our lawns to make them look pretty and green and bug-free contain chemicals that are highly lethal to aquatic species, even in an indirect fashion. Just a word of caution for others to take into consideration.

It is possible that pesticides may find their way into worms, but, if they are fatal to fish... are they not also fatal to worms?

Many of the products used to treat weeds, etc, break down very quickly in the presence of organic matter, such as decaying vegetation, so I would have thought they may only be present in worms in minute quantities. Worms actually create 'dirt' (soil) by eating and processing organic matter such as decaying leaves, manure etc.

I agree though, they should be sourced from chemical free sites if possible.

So basically the bait worms would be the safest route? We have used many chemicals on our lawn in the past. Although it is spring in a couple days so I'm sure the melting snow washed it away.

Worms from places like a golf course could be bad news. Huge amount of chemicals used there. Archer's Discus Quality Discus fish for sale information on care and keeping of Discus is the site of a premier discus keeper, who has been at this a long time. Read the section on food and look at the recipe. A lot of good info here. If you want to feed worms, the best route is to start your own vermiculture, using red wigglers.

I am for sure going to look into this seeing as you are way more knowledgable then I am with aquatics.

Proves to be a great site with a bunch of information. I love how it talks about iodine deficiency in the discus.

Back
Top Bottom