Beggining Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a real quick, but probably stupid question. If I buy a sponge filter, do i also need to buy a bubbler for it?

For the sponge filter yes that is what runs it...if you are talking about another one for the tank then no it not really necessary

Sweet thanks. I'm going to head to my LFS today to see if I can't pick up a couple more things for the tank. Maybe try and pick up a couple of plants that were suggested also.

I really like the look of that tank. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I like the look so far, too.
What are your plans for adding stock? It was briefly mentioned that the tank needs to run for a while to mature before adding shrimps.

Thank you very much. I definitely plan to stock it with about 10 RCS to start. But while the cycle is running I am going to just have some plants in it and figure out how I want them arranged. Definitely Java Moss and probably some Java Fern. My LFS has some Dwarf Hairgrass which i think would look pretty cool. But I don't know if that would do well in my tank. Sadly the sponge filter and heater will make the tank look less natural which kinda sucks. I can only do oh so much in a dorm room though haha. Moving it in to my dorm today, and buying a couple of plants also so I will probably be posting a picture of it later tonight if I get the chance.

If you want to do dwarf hair grass I would recommend getting a smaller grain substrate such as sand...you can get some black sand from petco for a pretty good price rite now which I think would also be easier to keep clean...and I say this because I have the same black gravel you have in one of my tanks and it really traps debris under it and needs to be cleaned quite often...and the bad thing about that is that the shrimplets like to crawl down into the gravel so you would have to be careful when you vacuum it out

Shucks okay. I know the ranges for keeping RCS but I was wondering if you guys had good luck at a specific temperature?

You I don't even know the temperature in my tank it's somthing I don't normally check unless it feels a little cool or a little warmer but all my tanks stay in the 73 to 83 range

And I promise you will be much happier with sand I wish I would have gone that route on three of my tanks

Unfortunately at this point it's a little late for sand :/ I will definitely look in to it if I want to change my tank or get another one though. Thank you!

Well here it is! all moved in with the filter running. bought some java fern and some java moss. don't quite know where or what to do with the java moss so any advice would be awesome. I personally love the look of this tank.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388897191.710274.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388897191.710274.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 70
It should be bubbling...and make sure you don't cover the rhizome of the java fern

The rhizome is the thick root looking thing that the leaves grow off of

Is it not visible in the picture? It's a Java Fern Mat if that makes a difference. I can post a closer pcture if that would help the explanation process at all.

My current life before classes start!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388955053.306596.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388955053.306596.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom