Beggining Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I just bought about 9 of them because I was able to get some filter media and quicken the cycle. I think 2 of them may be yellow instead of red. Should I just let them grow up until their color fully shows?
maybe they are males?

Probably! All of them are hiding under the piece of driftwood I have and it's kind of making me worried because I put food in there and none of them ate...

Ahhh that makes sense. So even if you breed them so the color becomes more and more dominant, if they are bred with another color they will just go back to brown?

Color genes do not become more dominant with breeder. Alleles are either dominant or recessessive. They can become more prevalent in a population because of selective breeding, but they cannot become more dominant.

Yes, they are a shrimp - they get eaten by bigger things. They compensate by hiding during the day so they don't get eaten. It is not a learned behavior, it is instinctive, so even if there are no predators in the tank, they are still going to hide if they are able.

Ahhh okay. well ****. Should I even feed them then? They have java moss and java fern that they seem to be feeding off of.

NEED HELP. Apparently my dorm is having no power for 8 and a half hours one day which means that the whole dorm will be decreasing in temperature while I have no heater running. What should I do?

You need to find a way to insulate the tank, or maybe put them in a bucket and take them somewhere?

How would you suggest I insulate the tank?

Also, can anybody help me sex this big guy. It's acting kinda funky IMO. Thanks!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389302216.266303.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389302216.266303.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 56
I haven't tried this myself personally, but you could possibly put 3 or 4 layers of blankets around the tank an hour before you lose energy, so the heat from the tank could warm the dead air in between the layers to warm the tank afterward.

That doesn't look like a cherry shrimp it looks like a wild type...and it sort of looks berried (carrying eggs) but I can't tell for sure from that picture

That's kind of what I was thinking.. If wild interbreed with cherry, will I be able to keep the color if I breed them selectively?

I was thinking of giving some to friends or selling them back to the fish store that lied about them being red cherry shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom