beginner fish keeper already had a casualty :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sazzyg23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I recently decided to live out my dream of having a small tropical fish tank for the first time. I bought a 33L tank and let it cycle for almost a month getting the water tested regularly and adding bacteria before I got fish. I didn't get any fish until it had been running for quite a while and the water levels were as the pet store employee deemed "perfect". Then, I got 5 neon tetras and had them in for a week before buying 2 balloon mollies and a beautiful mono argentus (both recommended by employee). When I bought the mono, he was the biggest in the tank and chasing all the other ones around, but when the idiot pet store employee went to get him for me, he swam away and it took the guy about 10-15 minutes just to catch him. By the time he did, he was using two different nets and cornered him and obviously stressed him out. When we got home and I introduced them, the balloon mollies were fine right from the start and ate and interacted with each other, but the mono never did. At first I thought he was just scared/tired/stressed from the ordeal, but within a couple of days he developed huge cataracts on both of his eyes and what I believe was cotton-mouth (or at least something fungal) as there was white fungus around his mouth, fins and even his poop looked white and stringy. I freaked out and researched his symptoms and concluded it was cataracts and cotton-mouth and, determined to save him, went to the pet store and bought a fungal cure medication. I put that in the tank along with a bit of aquarium salt and water changes every three days and continued for about two weeks and saw huge improvement in his eyes, mouth, fins and body. He looked almost cured but still had tattered fins (from the fungus) and was never active in the tank; he always just sat in one place all day. I still felt positive about him though; he visually looked so much better, so I decided it was time to test the water again as I had a feeling it wouldn't be too good after all the medicating. I went to the pet store 2 days ago and pretty much all of my water levels were bad except for PH which was still perfect. He told me to do a 50% water change and add Stability (a product for adding bacteria?) and of course Prime (water conditioner) and I also bought a gravel vac and used that for the first time. Again, all other fish were still doing perfectly and my mono looked okay, just shy. But last night I looked in the tank and he was flipping over, losing his balance and I knew that wasn't good. I looked at him and he looked so skinny (is that a thing?) and I realised that throughout all this, I've still never really seen him eating food like the rest of them. This morning he was dead. I am so sad/defeated, I thought I was on the home-stretch! Obviously I have removed him and all other fish are just acting normal, but the tank is still quite green from the medication and I'm not sure of the water parameters. I'm going to go get the water tested now, as I'm worried that all I've done by trying to treat the mono was destroy the biological filtration. However, I'm pretty sure the mono didn't die from (at least solely) bad water conditions because he was never quite "right" from when I first put him in and the water was perfect. I'm so sad that he's gone, but I can't have any of these other fish dying from the bad water condition, and I hope I will be able to get some more fish, like a catfish, that I was going to get after the mono/mollies settled in, but the mono never did. Please give me any advice on what has happened/ what to do/ how to improve my tank

Thanks!

Hello!

That was a long read haha

Few things I noticed-

1. Often times the pet store saying the water is okay, and it actually being okay, are 2 different things, especially a chain store that likely uses strips.

2. Tacking on to number 1, it's hard to tell if your tank is actually cycled just by going off what the LFS has said.

3. I seriously doubt it's death was your fault and why....

Solutions:

1. Get yourself a Liquid test kit. No more taking the word of a store employee.

2. Test your water and post results here.

3. The Monodactylus is actually a brackish fish. Brackish is where a freshwater body of water meets the ocean creating a middle ground between the two that isn't freshwater, but isn't enough to be marine either. They also grow quite large needing a bare minimum of 55g but 125g or more is optimal. Don't think you are ready for a tank that size yet lol.

4. Cotton mouth screams columnaris disease to me. In which case it likely had it at the store before you ever laid eyes on it.

Caleb

I can explain why your mono died... monos are brakish/saltwater fish, not freshwater fish.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can explain why your mono died... monos are brakish/saltwater fish, not freshwater fish.

While small, freshwater is acceptable.

Columnaris I'd say was far more a danger than the water.

Caleb

True, but the mono wouldn't have survived long term in freshwater.

Columnaris don't like salt in the water so using a little aquarium salt for awhile may be a good thing. To get the previous meds out of the tank you can use carbon in your filter. Sounds like the fish was sick when you bought him. Caleb is right! Don't listen to fish store employees as most are just there to sell you things you don't need or shouldn't have living together etc. Becareful with balloon mollies. They are a selectively bred deformity and can't swim that well nor do they live a normal molly life span.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone,

Unfortunately I don't have a testing kit yet as they're pretty expensive, and I don't think I will be able to get to the pet store today to test my water (although I have seen that they use a liquid testing kit) but the rest of my fish seem fine. I decided to do a 25% water change to a) get some of the medicine out that is no longer necessary to the other fish as they have never displayed any signs of sickness b) when I tested my water two days ago my levels were bad for everything except pH (ammonia, nitrate..) so I did a 50% water change and did one again today seeing as the mono died in there and my levels are probably not great.

What is the best way to get the medicine I no longer need out of the water?

Should I keep doing water changes or leave it alone?

Is there anywhere cheap online to buy a master test kit? The one's I've seen on Ebay go for like $40 (AU) for the cheapest.

Thank you for your advice! I have now read up more about the mono I had and although I am very sad he is gone, I definitely understand that he was going to grow too big and was not suitable for my tank :( Bad advice from the pet store but I will now research more before I buy whatever "feature fish" they suggest.

I test kit is a mini investment but it will last a long time. A year and lots of tanks and still have mine going.

A bag of carbon will remove any meds from the tank.

Caleb

As stated previously putting carbon in your filter will remove the meds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom