Beginner stocking new 20 gal...need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, my tank just finished cycling, and I need some recommendations/ help on what to stock :]

Ok my plan for stocking is:

6 neon tetra
4-6 false julii cory
5 golden pristella tetra
1 german blue ram?

idk what do people think.

I am pretty set on the neon tetras and cories. the rest im not sure...

:dance::thanks:

if its a 20 long I would say up your neon count. I prefer cardinals over neons but other then that your list sounds good.

Oh, we'll a 20 high changes things, no ram

really?? :( im sad now lol.

what about bolivian? those 6 extra inches really matter huh?

I thought about gouramis at first but i dont really like them much.

what about like dward neon rainbows? they have some at my lfs.

any other recommendations for a centerpiece fish?

You can't add a ram because its not long enough, they will get stressed out, swim up, and attack other tank mates
A gourami would be the best, that's the best I can give you

1 Ram in a 20H is fine. BUT if your planning on a GBR I strongly suggest waiting till your tank matures for 4-6 months as they do much better in stable mature tanks. Also when keeping rams you have to keep nitrates at 20ppm or lower. Good water quality is a much. Add a few more neons and your stock list is fine!

You can try it in a 20 high, but it's not suitable for them, you can keep an Oscar in a 40 gallon, but a 125 is better

You can try it in a 20 high, but it's not suitable for them, you can keep an Oscar in a 40 gallon, but a 125 is better

I've been in the hobby since the 70's and 1 ram in a 20g high is quite suitable. It's hardly a comparison to an Oscar in a 40g. I've been keeping rams almost as long as they have been in the country and have several currently so I'm quite confident in saying 1 ram in a 20H is fine especially with the OP's current stocking list.

I've been in the hobby since the 70's and 1 ram in a 20g high is quite suitable. It's hardly a comparison to an Oscar in a 40g. I've been keeping rams almost as long as they have been in the country and have several currently so I'm quite confident in saying 1 ram in a 20H is fine especially with the OP's current stocking list.

any thought on the harlequins?

They are a very good choice. Purple harlequin rasboras are kind of neat when you can find them. I have 10 coming in this Tuesday.

ok cool. Thanks, yeah purple ones are cool and I love the lambchop rasboras.

you have 10 coming in? like for yourself? lol...

That sounds like a very nice stock for a 20h, as I have something similar in mine. Will you be doing any live plants? GBR really appreciate having them around.

That sounds like a very nice stock for a 20h, as I have something similar in mine. Will you be doing any live plants? GBR really appreciate having them around.

Yes i do have live plants. anubias, crypts, swords.

Ok so I have a question....

i got some false juliis from petco (the fish looked good and they just got delivered that day) the tanks are actually a lot cleaner that some lfs here.

I had 2 cories when i went before, but i went back when they got more.

last night they all looked fine, all shoaling together. this morning i noticed one just chillin on the bottom in the corner, not swimming with the others. i had a bad feeling about it, but we left to go to lunch, and when we came back he was dead :(

he had a red blotch on his side, which was not there before i left. what could this have been? i believe it was one of the newer 4. any ideas?

all my water params are good and all the other fish seem to be doing great.

Fish can get sick or already be sick when you bring them home. The stress of being moved and acclimating to a new tank can trigger illness. I strongly suggest getting a small tank for a QT tank so you can quarantine new fish for a few weeks before adding them to your healthy established stock. Right now all you can do if you can't move it into a QT tank is keep your eye on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom