Beginning my endeavor ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tylork92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently have a 55g freshwater and am wanting to plunge into setting up a nano reef.

I currently have an empty 10g and and an empty 29g. I understand a 10g really limits what one can do and my only backdraw with using the 29g is how tall it is as well as cost of setup.

Whats your opinions on what i should setup?

is it possible to start the 29g as a FOWLR setup and add Coral in a few months?

I also have 2 lights that came with each of the tanks. Pics uploaded in my albulm on here.

Honestly you could use either system you'd like and have great success with each. Usually it's best to go with the biggest system you can afford to go with. This is because it's easier to maintain a saltwater aquarium when you have a larger amount of water. However I don't want this to discourage you from going with your 10 gallon if you wanted too. One of the best reef tanks I ever had was a 8 gallon nano. Just to give you an idea of the cost..... It's usually about 25 dollars minimum per gallon to set up a saltwater tank. You could easily go way beyond that price range also. This is because live rock, live sand, filter and light systems and water pump costs can add up quickly. Not to mention, test kits, supplement additives and livestock.

And of course you can always set up a FOWLR tank and add corals later. One more thought... Using the 29 gallon would def open up the options for fish to be kept. While there are some suitable fish species for a 10 gallon these options are a lot fewer than the 29.

Thinking I'm gonna do the 10g just to keep cost down. Would dual T5 24" be enough for some corals?

Is a protein skimmer needed? How many lbs of LR/LS cost?

Thinking fish wise keep it to a clown and firefish with some inverts. That sound good?

What's some beginner corals that remain on the smaller side? Wanting to do the 10g as a learning experience then upgrade in a couple years.

The T5's will be fine for most low-moderate light level corals. These include mushrooms, leather corals and most soft corals. A protein skimmer isn't an absolute necessity but obviously is a valuable piece for filtration. However in a 10gallon you really don't need it if you get plenty of live rock and provide plenty of water movement, especially at the surface. Most good pieces of live rock cost anywhere between 6-8 bucks a pound. This being the case you'll easily spend at least $80 just on live rock. A small power head would be a good investment also.

As far as fish go, I would definitely choose between either the clownfish or the firefish. There are many on this forum who feel that a 10 gallon is to small for a clown but I say that if water parameter are kept in check and regular water changes are performed you can keep a single clown in a 10 gallon. I'd go with the smaller Percula species though.

what about using the 29g and building the 10g into a sump for the 29? I know it would be more costly but should run more efficient correct?

Regarding sumps: does the extra water count toward your total amount in regards to how much rock needed? also does the rock in the refugium count towards the total needed?

Well i measured the tank which i was told was a 29g and have found out it is a 37g.

You would be best off to use the larger tank as the display and the 10 as a sump. To keep a succesful reef tank you really can't cut corners but that doesn't mean you can't build it over time and spread the cost out. With a sump you'll add water volume to your system meaning more stable conditions and gives you the ability to hide equipment underneath your DT instead of inside to give you a more natural look. Before you even begin though you need to realize reefs are very expensive, even with finding deals I am at around $50-60$/gallon for setup and livestock but like I said this has been spread out over months so patience is a must (unless you have a fat wallet lol)

Completely understand that patience is a must and am kinda glad as i dont wanna break the bank in one hit lol.

All ive done today is watch videos on DIY projects.

Im leaning towards using the 37g (currently soaking in vinegar to remove hardwater stains), making the 10g a sump (DIY), building my own overflow, and starting out as a FOWLR system and then withing 6 months to a year adding better lighting and corals. All im focusing on now is to get everything needed to begin cycling.

Yea I agree with using the bigger tank as your display and adding a sump underneath. In the long run it will end up being a much more stable system. You'll want to pack the sump with as much live rock as you can afford. Also make sure your water flow in the sump is fast enough not to create pools of standing water. Good luck with the setup!

Back
Top Bottom