Beginning of my 29g tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I now have in my new light fixture and Flourish root tabs. I re-aquascaped a little today on the right side of my tank. I am saving the left side for a 15" piece of driftwood I have coming tomorrow and some plants I traded with Gayla (fluffyntex) and also some plants I have coming from atl300zx. I wanted to post pictures of the new looks of the right side of my tank. I have "weeded out" a lot of the plants that I thought were unhealthy and didn't survive the heat with packaging in my plant package from last week. With the help of my 11 y/o daughter we rebuilt the rock formation into a "cave". How's it lookin'?
BTW - the smell of these Flourish root tabs reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on what it is....some kind of herb or spice...anyone know what I am talking about??
Also, before anyone comments on the rocks....yes, I did test them first with vinegar. It was like pouring water on them, I had absolutely no fizzing whatsoever. And, I did boil them first before putting them in the tank.....lol ;)

Did you glue the rocks together with aquarium silacon? I only ask in case you have rambunctious fish that might knock it over.

Joy,
I didn't glue the rocks together. They are very heavy slate and the fish I plan on putting in there are going to be pretty small fish 1-2" max and maybe a 2-3" pleco. I jumped around the aquarium and the rocks didn't budge. Do you really think a small fish could knock it down? Now, I'm worried....:(

I just went into the tank and tapped all around, on top of, beneath, the rocks and none of them budged. I have to think that it will be fine for the little fish I am going to put in there. Now, if it was an oscar I would be concerned.

good luck with the new plants and light... looking good so far.

Sounds like you've tested it well enough. I wouldn't be concerned about it with those small fish. Looks great btw.

Did you glue the rocks together with aquarium silacon? I only ask in case you have rambunctious fish that might knock it over.

Excellent recommendation, I was going to suggest this but glad to see someone got to it before me.

Dottie, I had a male BN pleco in my 55 gallon tank. He was about 2.5 inches long and he loved this "slate cave" I made. I didn't think anything could move it. Well, He came up missing and I didn't see him in the tank for 3 days. I was working 3rd shift and hadn't noticed the collapse of the slate. Well, as you guessed, I found him on day 3 of him missing. He was bloated and smelled utterly disgusting to say the least. He must have whipped the slate with his tail and knocked it over on himself. I don't do slate caves anymore...please learn from MY mistake.

Lookin Good!

I like the slate/rock cave. I sure need a piece of that slate, I'm going to try tomorrow to get a small piece to finish off my secret cave structure,lol

Excellent recommendation, I was going to suggest this but glad to see someone got to it before me.

Dottie, I had a male BN pleco in my 55 gallon tank. He was about 2.5 inches long and he loved this "slate cave" I made. I didn't think anything could move it. Well, He came up missing and I didn't see him in the tank for 3 days. I was working 3rd shift and hadn't noticed the collapse of the slate. Well, as you guessed, I found him on day 3 of him missing. He was bloated and smelled utterly disgusting to say the least. He must have whipped the slate with his tail and knocked it over on himself. I don't do slate caves anymore...please learn from MY mistake.

Oh geez....now I feel like I HAVE to do something or I could regret it! :p Where the heck do you get glue that is safe for aquariums??? How long would I have to have the rock out before I could glue it (how long would it have to dry)? As hot as it is here right now, it would dry in the sun in no time. After I glue it how long does it have to stay out before I could put it back in? How the heck could a 2.5" fish knock down heavy slate? Thanks for the advice guys....I know I would feel terrible down the road if one of my fish got squished by it :eek:

Lookin Good!

I like the slate/rock cave. I sure need a piece of that slate, I'm going to try tomorrow to get a small piece to finish off my secret cave structure,lol

Thanks! I now have decided to glue it just to be safe! My husband picks this stuff up for me at his sister's house....it is everywhere over there. One day he brought me home a bag that was probably 10 pieces or more and weighed probably 30-40 pounds that he walked about a mile out of the woods with. What an :angel:!

I just called my lhs and they have the GE silicone (type I) so I am off to get it. I already took my rocks out and they are "baking" in the hot morning sun. I will get them "glued later" and I guess wait 24-48 hours before putting them back into the tank.
I tell ya....I keep hearing that you have to have immense amounts of patience to be successful in this hobby and I am really learning that....lol

I might do the same with my rocks too. I would hate to see someone get squished! I tell you that aquarium stuff sure does knock your socks off when you sniff it! I accidentally got too close to it and took a sniff, and I think my nose hairs burned off.

New rock build

I went to my lhs and got the correct silicone (GE silicone type I) and built my new rock formation. It is currently drying outside!

looking good. glad to see this tank coming together so well.

And as far as flourish tabs, i always thought they smelled like sh*t, literally.

you thinking of tieing down some java ferns to it?

I want some new livestock in my tank, however i have a few pesky tankmates that beat up on a lot of my fish, so either i need to find someone or a store to take them.

Back
Top Bottom