Behavior question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wonder if light in a tank could cause aggression for Oscars to go after one another. When I have my light on for a while my two Oscars will start to go after one another.

They're both in a 90 gallon. And they're still small, about 3 1/2 inch to 4 inches.

Keep plenty of towels handy LOL!
When Oscars are full grown and they decide to rumble near the surface be aware of the mess it could make. They move water fast. Keep any electric cords clear enough to not get wet. Lids are capable of being moved/shifted from these guys n gals.

I have had glass heaters get cracked because of them. Luckily it was summer time in Arizona, I didn't have it plugged in. From now on I only use heaters with a plastic casings and I pull them out when I don't need them.

May not be. You may have 2 males going at it for dominance. Even it were a female vs male scenario one will still be a bully.

We have 2 currently that don't "aggro" now, but they first had it out in the beginning. Now you can see who eats first so to speak. As long as one isn't keeping the other from eating and outright trying to kill, it will calm down. Make sure they have there own spaces to hide.

RE: tsk5035. I Imagine ceramic is stronger. But it isn't worth it for me to get my fish into involuntary shock therapy

I owned over 20 oscars and I don't care what anyone says about having two in a tank there's going to be fighting. Even my breeding pair lip lock, tail shake, and chase each other, you should see them when they're spawn. The main thing to look for is damage being done or bullying when feeding, otherwise it's oscars being oscars. When they reach maturity at around 18 months that's when you'll start to see real issues.

Most of the time they're great, they swim together, and even battle other fish lol (no one gets hurt). They also both eat at the same time. So am I okay for right now?

Sounds good thanks.
By the way do you know if there is anyway to tell the sex sex of my Oscars.

Oscars are monomorphic which means they are no visual differences, the only way to be sure to see them lay or fertilize eggs.

Back
Top Bottom