Benefits of CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also read in the dosing instructions for the fertilizer, that you need to do 50% weekly water changes. Is this correct? I can see how the fertilizer building up can cause issues if the plants do not soak it up, but I thought all of this would help the water quality, thus reducing the amount or number of water changes?

That makes sense. Thanks for sharing that. So basically, no need to worry about PH fluctuations. I believe my tank normally is at 7.5 PH, but right now is 6.8-7.0 PH due to the new driftwood leaching tannins. I am actually glad the CO2 will drop the PH a little.

I was just worried if turning off the CO2 would cause a huge swing that is detrimental to the fish (trying to cover all of the bases here so I can minimize any surprises when everything is set up). Thank you!

Just keep an eye on ph and watch fish are not gasping / sluggish / not eating but yes, ph going down and up is expected.

I also read in the dosing instructions for the fertilizer, that you need to do 50% weekly water changes. Is this correct? I can see how the fertilizer building up can cause issues if the plants do not soak it up, but I thought all of this would help the water quality, thus reducing the amount or number of water changes?

Yes, large water changes are required to reset back so no particular fert builds up.

Even though I test most ferts I do at least 30% each week as I don't test for many of the micro ferts (and test kits can be unreliable).

I assume this is the E.I. Dosing method?

Yes, large water changes are required to reset back so no particular fert builds up.

Even though I test most ferts I do at least 30% each week as I don't test for many of the micro ferts (and test kits can be unreliable).

I assume this is the E.I. Dosing method?

From where I got that information? I just got it by reading up on GLA's website for their ferts

From where I got that information? I just got it by reading up on GLA's website for their ferts

I looked these up. It's probably a good starting point. With the EI method, ferts doses tend to be higher so larger water changes are more likely to be required.

How do you feel about the lights being on from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM with ambient light (sunshine from the windows) coming in the morning as early as 7:00 AM?

How do you feel about the lights being on from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM with ambient light (sunshine from the windows) coming in the morning as early as 7:00 AM?

For my tank I have no sunlight hitting the tank. I regard sunlight as unwanted. If you are getting sunlight hitting tank and getting algae that tank side I would put a backing on that tank side to cut out sunlight.

I find in a planted tank you want everything consistent and then can change one or two things at a time to improve. Each tank is different so what can work for me, may not for others (and vice versa).

Natural light in a room is fine. It would be adding hardly any light to the tank compared to tank lights.

A single or split light period should be fine. I'd start at 7 hours and look to lift up. This will be where the experimenting will come in.

I should have better explained. The sunlight isn't directly hitting the tank. The tank is in a corner of a room and right next to the tank is a window, but not right in front of it. So when the window is open, light does fill the tank so I can see what is in there but it isn't lighting it up like a light would. An example of how much light gets in would be an overhead light on in a room. Is that okay for an overhead light, and/or tv to be on those hours beforehand?

That will be fine I'd say. At a guess your tank lights will be say 40 to 80 PAR (just as an example). Light from other sources will be say 2 to 4 PAR (just a guess). So other source light doesn't add much. And as planted the fish can come out / hide away in plants as suits them if say TV is on.

I agree unless the sunlight is directly hitting the tank then nothing to worry about. I like that photoperiod much better.

My tank is in the very early stages but I am on from 12 till 10pm.

IMG_2544.JPG

I feel that the plants will have obtained enough co2 throughout the photoperiod to manage another couple of hours without it on. The co2 level won't drop off straight away anyway, might take half an hour depending on surface agitation/consumption.

So my CO2 tank came in and I just got it filled with industrial grade CO2. Will this be okay since it is not food grade?

So my CO2 tank came in and I just got it filled with industrial grade CO2. Will this be okay since it is not food grade?

Well, I would of thought so but what were the differences between the two? Did the person filling suggest it?

Edit - I looked back and here the CO2 comes from brewing shops so I assume food grade. Looking quickly at US, I'd go for food grade if not much price difference but perhaps someone more local to you will know more and the CO2 shop hopefully would.

Last edited:
Well that is where I had mine filled up was a brew store, but I don't know if there is much of a difference

I'd contact the store and ask on the difference between their products / prices and what would they get for a fish tank. And checking on any harmful gases and/or trace oils in industrial CO2.

Here anyways I've found they will assume it is for brewing unless you tell them for a fish tank (here I was told by the store there are a couple of people that also get the CO2 for fish tanks).

Hmmm. Well if the CO2 was for beer I would assume there would not be any harmful gasses or trace oils as humans would be consuming them. I googled industrial grade and it seems like a lot of people use industrial grade for their aquariums so I guess it is safe if I am not the only one. Haha

I get my tanks filled at a sporting goods store. These are paintball tanks so I'm thinking industrial or non-food grade.

I was actually thinking about that this morning since a lot of people use paintball tanks for CO2 which uses industrial grade. I might actually start a thread about that since surprisingly no one has talked about that on here. On other forums they have, but not here for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom